Are you someone with developing leadership and technical capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders? Are you a trusted partner and a problem solver? If you enjoy entrepreneurship and innovation, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile environment.
Dillon’s Communities and Environment Infrastructure technical group is looking for a Water/Wastewater Engineer-In-Training to join our multidisciplinary team of professionals. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects across the country while providing clients with a fully integrated and superior client experience.
This position is available at our Kitchener office.
What your day will look like
Project Coordination and Design (94%)
- Assist with of a variety multi-disciplinary water/wastewater projects including infrastructure conceptual design, preliminary design, detailed design, technical memorandums, design reports, plans, approvals, contract administration, and site inspections
- Perform assessments, design calculations, data collection, and data analysis to support engineering activities
- Participate in the creation of contract drawings, contract specifications, and tender packages
- Liaise with equipment suppliers and vendors for equipment selection
- Contribute to the business development activities including the co-ordination and preparation of proposals, presentations, and client liaisons. Tasks can include gathering information from engineering disciplines, developing fees, schedules, work plans, and organizational charts
- Assist with design team activities, coordination with project team members including junior engineers and technical support staff, and ongoing support to project managers and client relationship managers
- Liaise with public and private sector clients, vendors, government review and approval agencies, sub-consultants, and subcontractors
- Liaise with multidisciplinary project teams (including transportation, municipal and structural engineers, transportation systems planners, planners, environmental scientists and technical support staff)
Learning and Development (6%)
- Commit to self-development and ongoing learning and professional development
- Contribute to Dillon’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees
What you will need to succeed
- A degree in environmental, civil, mechanical, or chemical engineering
- Registered as an Engineer in Training (EIT) or eligible to be licensed within 6 months and willingness to obtain professional registrations in other provinces/territories as required
- 1-2 years of relevant work experience in the consulting industry preferred
- Experience and knowledge of water and wastewater treatment equipment/facilities, pumping stations, and community infrastructure
- Related experience in range of design activities including preparation of functional and detailed design drawings and reports, contract document preparation, tendering, construction administration and commissioning is preferred
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary team, client and industry relationships, and regulatory agency consultation
- Working knowledge of emerging technologies for water and wastewater treatment
- Demonstrated abilities in multidisciplinary project teamwork and coordination
- Proficient in project proposal preparation and presentations
- Experience in process modeling software such as SUMO would be considered an asset
- An intense motivation for personal and professional growth
- Excellent organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- A deep desire to help and guide our clients on their path to success
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to network in professional settings
- Possess self-awareness and act responsibly on job sites
Why choose Dillon
Dillon is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
We live our core values:
- Reliability: words result in actions that build trust;
- Achievement: do the work to hit the target;
- Continuous development: always learning; always adapting; always growing;
- Creativity: discover new possibilities;
- Courage: do the things that matter, especially when it’s hard;
- Inclusiveness: enabling belonging to draw strength from our differences.
In addition, we offer:
Employee share purchase plan
- Dillon is 100% employee owned and share ownership is open to all employees.
A competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous retirement savings plan
- Student loan repayment assistance with matching employer contributions
Flexible work hours and remote working options
- Dillon values its staff and the contributions that are made each day and understands that work arrangements can differ based on personal needs and business needs. We are taking a trust-based approach to oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible and remote work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
Early Career Development (ECD) program
- We are committed to developing the skills and knowledge of our people at every stage of their career. The ECD program is designed to accelerate the development of successful consulting careers of new graduates. The program focuses on a mix of skills and behaviours that align with technical, consulting, clients, business acumen, and early leadership.
Focus on Innovation
- The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance. In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities.
Employee and Family Assistance program
- A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees.
- Our employees can take advantage of wellness subsidy that can be put towards expenses for a variety of health and/or wellness related activities such as gym membership, purchase of home fitness equipment, yoga classes and dance classes
Dillon is a proudly Canadian, employee-owned, professional consulting firm specializing in planning, engineering, environmental science and management. We partner with clients to provide committed, collaborative, and inventive solutions to complex, multi-faceted projects. With over 20 offices and more than 1000 employees across Canada, Dillon offers a wide range of services related to building and improving facilities and infrastructure, protecting the environment, and developing communities.
Now operating for over 75 years, we continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. Dillon has been listed as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 16 years and has the distinction of having achieved Platinum Club member status in this program.
Employment Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Dillon:
Dillon is committed to the principles of employment equity, inclusiveness, and diversity within our organization. We strive to achieve a workplace where opportunities are based on skills and abilities and that respects and values differences.
Inclusion is more than a word to us, it is the way we choose to run our business.
Please connect with us if you require accommodation in the interview process. We would love to hear from you!