Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a trailblazing legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the 1.8 billion people who are left out of, or poorly served by, the financial sector. For more than 60 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through our work with more than 200 partners in 63 countries. More at http://www.accion.org
6 months, 20 hours per week. Hybrid position. May include the possibility of temporary employment working full-time for 10 weeks during Summer 2023.
Accion is seeking a part-time paid Intern to support the Legal Department starting in January 2023. The position requires a commitment to work 20 hours per week from our office in downtown Washington, DC for a minimum of 6 months and may include the possibility of temporary full-time employment of 10 weeks during Summer 2023 and reappointment of part-time employment in Fall 2023.
- Organize and maintain electronic and paper files, including contracts, and corporate documents;
- Order corporate documents such as certificates of good standing and articles of incorporation;
- Update and maintain corporate recordkeeping system for all related corporate entities;
- Assist with coordination of charitable and state registration forms;
- Assist with obtaining apostilles, legalizations, consularizations and notarizations of documents;
- Update and maintain system to track law firm relationships and engagements;
- Assist with contract management and electronic signature requests;
- Code, track, and maintain department invoices and expenses;
- Update and maintain content on the Legal Department page of the Accion Intranet;
- Support preparation of routine legal documents, corporate certifications, correspondence, or materials in response to due diligence requests;
- Organize, prepare and edit ancillary documentation and presentation materials;
- Conduct research to support legal, risk and compliance functions, as needed;
- Support implementation of department management technology initiatives;
- Provide administrative support to the General Counsel and department, including but not limited to meeting organization, office space reservations, travel coordination, and preparing and tracking of shipments.
- Bachelor’s degree candidate in pre-law, international relations, or business/finance program at an accredited college or university in the DC metro area;
- Demonstrated interest in non-profit law or impact investing preferred;
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail;
- Proficiency with Microsoft 365 products including SharePoint, Teams, Outlook, Word, and Excel as well as Adobe Pro and DocuSign (experience with Smartsheet or Deltek is a plus);
- Excellent at multi-tasking with a positive, can-do attitude;
- Demonstrated written and oral English language skills and ability to communicate ideas effectively;
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus;
- Prior legal or administrative support experience preferred; and
- Willingness to embody Accion’s values of excellence, respect, and passion for social change.