Holcim Trading (HT) is the trading arm of Holcim Group, the world leader in the building materials industry. HT is specialized to meet the needs of customers and suppliers around the world through a unique product and service portfolio provided from offices in Zurich, Singapore and Miami.
HT delivers solutions for the seaborne import and export needs of cementitious materials, gypsum, solid fuels and other dry bulk goods. Teams of dedicated specialists manage a diverse network of seaborne logistics, operating bulk carrier vessels and specialized cement carriers. HT is a leading international trader, meeting the needs of the cement/construction industry worldwide.
For our office in Singapore we are looking for a:
Trading Manager AMEA (Asia, Middle East & Africa) (Hybrid work) - Arabic Speaker (Preferred)
SUMMARY OF THE JOB
The Trading Manager is responsible for proposing and executing the Holcim Trading plan in his/her Region:
- Negotiating and executing sales contracts across all product lines and sourcing contracts for cement and clinker
- Interfacing with support resources such as Operations, Chartering, Legal, Finance, Strategy & Development and with Trading colleagues in other regions
- Helping respective import/export Group countries in the implementation of their own strategy and optimization of their footprint when related to international seaborne flows
- Managing the existing portfolio of customers and suppliers, and prospecting new customers/suppliers
- Maximizing ROIC with third party customers
- Managing, within his/her delegation of authority, Trading risks in his/her geography
- Executing all business transactions (purchase & sales) by complying with internal rules, processes, regulations, standards, etc. to make sure a good execution is reached together with Chartering, Operations, Finance and Legal
- Providing Business Intelligence internally and to the Group
- Participating actively in projects when requested
MAIN ACTIVITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
Generate information for the purpose of market intelligence and business planning such as:
- Providing the HT Research Team with regular information on developments of supply & demand as well as price and cost information.
- Helping respective import/export Group companies in the implementation of their own strategy and optimization of their footprint when related to international seaborne flows.
- Developing and maintaining a network of decision makers and influencers in the respective regional cement industry, in particular in countries where the Group does not have a presence.
- Creating the required volume and price information for the (financial) planning at HT.
- Responding to ad-hoc requirements and participating in projects as defined by the Head of Trading.
- Be involved in the preparation and implementation of the budget.
Drive the value creation for and with existing customers and suppliers across all products, services and freight (in cooperation with Chartering Manager) characterized by activities such as:
- Maintaining regular contact at various levels of the customers / supplier organization to understand and anticipate on their needs.
- Key Account Management activities, including contract preparation & signing, issue management through to resolution, and follow-up on outstanding accounts receivables
- Understanding how the risk profile related to the customers / supplier evolves over time.
- Understanding how our products and services create value for our customers / suppliers and being able to explain the value creation. Collaborates with customers to improve import/export operations and product portfolio design.
- Negotiating deals in a fair and compliant manner to sustain relations and maximize the value generation, as defined by the financial objectives for return on the transactions, on a short and long term basis.
- Growing the share of wallet by capitalizing on the established relationship.
- Ensuring that the accounts receivables and other counterparty risks are proactively recognized and mitigated.
Grow the business thru the identification of new opportunities with new customers or suppliers. Activities include for example:
- Identification and prioritization of new prospects and a plan and value proposition to approach them
- Visits to potential customers / suppliers / specifiers / influencers with whom we have not transacted or transacted only in the past.
- Collecting information to assess the counterparty risks related to potential customers / suppliers.
- Creating the business case and the trust to initiate a transaction that contributes to the value creation
- Ensuring that the new business will turn into a long term relation and repetitive business.
Contribute to the execution of trade transactions thru close coordination with support functions:
- Ensuring that Chartering and Operations are supplied with all information in a timely fashion.
- Responding to the information requests of Operations to ensure transactions are properly documented and executed in line with the defined standards.
- Supervising and supporting the Operations teams where required in the interaction with customers and suppliers.
Sales, number of people, budget, volumes etc.:
- 50 to 75 m€ Sales and Purchases
- 1 to 2 Mt of traded volumes
- Trading margin varying between 1.5 and 3 m€
- Sales managed out of Group exporting plants: ca. 1MT m€ for a total value of ca. 50m€ and ca. 15 m€ of contribution at Group level
Educational Background / Qualifications: at least technical/commercial education, with a degree in business or engineering preferred
Min. 5 years of experience in trading or comparable commercial activities
Knowledge & Skills
- Technical competencies / job knowledge: in depth understanding of cement values, properties and usages for various types of customers (IP, GS, distributors, construction sites…). Expertise in international seaborne trading and maritime regulations and logistics.
- Managerial and Interpersonal competencies / communication; agility to adjust management style and interpersonal skills to a broad variety of country and company cultures whilst consistently promoting Group / trading values and principles. Team player and respect for diversity. Politically savvy and diplomacy in particular to manage intra-Group tensions.
- Cultural: Appetite and curiosity for geo-political topics and multinational cultures.
- Language Skills: English and Arabic.
Mobility requirements: Time spent traveling (internationally & nationally) is high (about 50%)
Position is based in Singapore
Able to communicate well in English and Arabic