Intern - Legal
Location: Remote / Washington DC
Duration: This is a full time 8 week paid internship for the summer of 2023 and may be fully remote. For Candidates in the DC area, there is an opportunity to work in-person from the DC office one day a week. Target start is May 30th, 2023.
Our Impact: For the planet, people, and prosperity: Are you looking to make a real difference on a global scale?
C-Quest Capital LLC (CQC) is an award-winning leading global carbon project developer, social impact investor and climate finance specialist. Our mission is to transform the lives of families in the poorest communities in developing countries by providing access to clean and sustainable energy solutions and improving the health and wellbeing of women and children. Since 2010, we have been making investments in carbon reduction and removal programs, providing clean and efficient energy appliances, small-scale agriculture and forestry services to the rural poor. CQC is headquartered in Washington, DC, USA, with subsidiaries in India, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, and Australia and operations in over 20 countries across Sub-Saharan Africa, Central America, and South and Southeast Asia. We currently have over 300 employees and over 1,000 contracted staff serving our clients and investors. Follow our journey:
About Carbon Project Developer – C-Quest Capital (cquestcapital.com)
As an Intern in our legal team, you will gain valuable practical work experience and learn alongside in house counsel and regional department teams across the continents. Key responsibilities will include:
- Drafting and reviewing contracts for the operations, sales, and investment teams.
- The CQC Legal team tackles all contracts for the company—big and small. The Intern will help with everything from reviewing NDAs and employment agreements to major multi-company investment deals. The Intern will help the other attorneys with everything from formatting issues to analyzing the applicable laws and finalizing contracts.
- Organization and tracking agreements and company documents.
- Maintaining impeccable records is important to a smoothly run legal department. The Intern will assist with saving, organizing, and tracking agreements and company documents for all of CQC’s entities.
- Assisting with due diligence for entity formation, entity and country registration, employment law and contracts, commercial contracting, as well as other miscellaneous legal processes.
- Assisting with day-to-day legal matters of the Washington, DC based headquarters.
- Assisting with global compliance matters.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree.
- Must be enrolled in the second or third year of an accredited U.S. law school.
- Have already completed at least one legal internship.
- Provide a writing sample.
- Ability to work successfully from home/work remotely.
The successful candidate will likely:
- Although CQC is based in DC, most employees work remotely. The Intern must have initiative and an industrious work ethic to successfully complete their duties outside of the office.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills as well as the ability to communicate effectively in situations where there are cultural differences or language barriers.
- Be comfortable and able to work with varying levels of supervision.
- Work well in a team environment, both with attorneys and business stakeholders in an international, multicultural environment.
- Have sharp attention to detail and manage, organize, and prioritize workload and multiple deadlines.
- Have a sincere interest in helping the rural communities in less developed countries, along with the challenges that climate change presents and the role of carbon markets to address these challenges.
- Prior experience in HR and/or international companies is preferred.
- Have demonstrated interest in international and/or environmental law.
Supervision: The Intern will report to the Associate Counsel with a dotted line to General Counsel.
Law students currently enrolled in at least the second year of Law School from the following universities are encouraged to apply:
Howard University Law School, George Washington University Law School, American University, George Mason University, Georgetown University, University of District of Colombia.