About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking a Half-Time Staff Archaeologist to assist with Cultural Resources management work within the Central Texas and Gulf Coast region. Under the supervision of a Cultural Resources Lead, this position will perform office tasks and fields while working with and supervising crew members.
In this role, you will be primarily assisting with office-based tasks, including laboratory work, the preparation of site forms, and technical reports. In addition, you may manage all aspects of fieldwork, supervising one or more crews of archaeological technicians during survey, site recording, monitoring, or excavation projects. SWCA offers a unique work environment specializing in delivering natural and cultural resources services across the Central Texas and the greater Gulf Coast Region.
What you will accomplish
- Assist with office-based tasks, including laboratory work, performing literature reviews, research, site form preparation, and technical report preparation, as needed;
- Work independently in a responsible manner, within defined schedules and meet deadlines;
- Communicate effectively when reporting to Project Archaeologists, Principal Investigators, clients, and client representatives in the field, such as land agents, to facilitate successful project planning and logistics;
- Ensure that appropriate preliminary research is conducted and organized prior to fieldwork, and that necessary equipment, staff, and other resources are ready for fieldwork;
- Supervise one or more crews in fieldwork, including archaeological survey, testing, and monitoring, while ensuring quality and completeness of data collected;
- Accurately identify historic-era and prehistoric artifacts and features, and train less experienced field crew in their identification.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, or related field
- Completion of an accredited archaeological field school or demonstrative equivalent
- Minimum of two (2) years working as a Field archaeologist
- Ability to travel and conduct fieldwork for long hours, sometimes in inclement weather (including high heat and humidity), rugged terrain, and at high altitudes
- Ability to carry equipment weighing up to 40 pounds
- Must have a valid driver's license, the ability to pass a Motor Vehicle background screening, and have access to reliable transportation.
- Master’s degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, or related field
- Experience working in Texas and the greater Gulf Coast region
- One (1) or more years of experience leading crews of field technicians on a variety of project types and sizes, regions, and agencies
- Knowledge of federal and state preservation laws and regulations including, the National Environmental Policy Act, Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act, Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act
- Experience collecting field data utilizing modern mobile technology (tablets with programs such as ESRI Field Map and Survey 123) and Trimble GPS units (Terrasync and/or ArcPad)
- CPR and First Aid certified
- Currently reside in the Austin, TX vicinity or plan to relocate to the area in the immediate future
- Estimated time on office-based tasks, including laboratory work, the preparation of site forms, and technical reports is approximately 75 percent
- Estimated time in the field is approximately 25 percent
- Hours worked over 40 hours per week are paid at time-and-a-half rate
- Project schedules may often include up to 12-hour days, 6 days a week for extended periods
- Single occupancy hotels paid directly by SWCA
- Per diem for full day, unless otherwise noted for specific projects
- Vehicles provided for projects
- Opportunity for advancement within SWCA
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges in all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this Austin, TX-based position can expect an hourly pay rate of $24.41_–$31.24/h__our. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA’s Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive_ Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 1-480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.