Originating in Chicago, Youth Guidance creates and implements school-based programs that enable children to overcome obstacles, focus on their education, and ultimately succeed in school and life. Our organization is a leading provider of outcomes-driven programs and capacity-building initiatives, directly serving more than 13,000 youth.
At Youth Guidance, we believe that no matter what challenges a young person faces, they can do anything with the proper support. Our professional staff are trained to work with schools, parents, and families to meet kids where they are, so they stay on the right path toward a bright future.
We are looking for a Staff Accountant who will be responsible for applying accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information and to prepare accurate and timely financial reports.
When you join our Finance Team, you will:
- Oversee preparation of vouchers, billing and processing of reports necessary for funded programs.
- Review of expenditures to ensure compliance with organizational policies as well as Federal and State rules and regulations.
- Prepares journal entries to accurately report receipt and expenditure of grant and contract revenue.
- Prepares vouchers and submits the reports and supporting documentation necessary for billing the funded programs.
- Ensures smooth and accurate grant close outs, and G/L accounts reconciliations.
- Maintains and works with the Finance Manager and department heads to monitor and maintain budgets.
- Effectively communicates with all departments and assists in analyzing expenditure and revenue data for various departments.
- Collaborates with the Finance Manager and Sr. Accountants to ensure accuracy and completeness of financial reporting.
- Reviews and analyzes grant and contract documents for financial reporting guidelines, budget compliance, and other related transactions.
- Assists with the preparation of Annual Financial Report.
- Computes indirect cost rates and applies such rates as necessary to awards.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
You've Been Prepared for Greatness:
- Bachelor’s Degree in business required
- Minimum 2-3 years of accounting/finance experience
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) required
Your Greatness Will Shine Through:
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong organization and project management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required
- Strong decision-making ability and initiative
- Strong team player
- Advanced skill level with Microsoft Excel and Word highly preferred
- Experience with Financial Edge preferred
- Must be open to and desire new challenges and evolving priorities
- Critical Thinking
- Communication and Collaboration
- Project Management
- Quality of Work and Ownership
- Equity Mindset
- Client-Service Orientation
What You’ll Love About Us:
- Opportunity to make a positive impact in the lives of the youth we serve using data to creatively tell our program stories
- On-going professional development and access to our Learning Management System (LMS)
- Health and wellness benefits including paid time off, various insurances, an Employee Assistance Program and more
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The duties are performed via a hybrid work model within an office/business setting. Vaccination is required.
At Youth Guidance, we understand that diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) are fundamental to realizing our vision of bright and successful futures for all young people. We celebrate the diversity of youth and recognize them as empowered leaders, problem-solvers, and experts of their own experiences. At the same time, we acknowledge that many systems and institutions meant to support youth are inequitable and unjust.
As such, we are committed to advancing DE&I through our words and our actions, both internally and externally, by:
- Strengthening cultural competence as well as policies, practices, and organizational structures that foster belonging and leverage the unique backgrounds and talents of staff;
- Offering youth-centered programs that are accessible and responsive to people from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, abilities, sexual identity, gender identity and expression, language, and cultural and religious beliefs and practices;
- Influencing systems that youth, their families and communities are impacted by, such as schools, organizational networks, governmental bodies, researchers, and the funding community, to apply approaches that embrace DEI in addressing the needs and supporting the aspirations of young people.
***Please submit a cover letter along with your resume.***
Youth Guidance is an equal opportunity employer and proudly values diversity. Youth Guidance does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law and is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity along all of these lines. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.