Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
The Senior Manager of Global HR Projects is responsible for the timely and successful prioritization and execution of the CHRO’s strategic vision and the Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) of HR’s functions. This function will also include developing, implementing, monitoring, and controlling HR's operating budget and creating forecasts for expected expenses.
This highly tactical role requires a person who is extremely detail-oriented with a combination of focus and flexibility and a willingness to play an active, hands-on, behind-the-scenes role, working outside and between HR verticals and functions to solve problems achieve project goals. The successful candidate will be highly systems-oriented and experienced with several platforms, a resourceful individual with vital emotional intelligence and good verbal and written communication skills. The candidate will also be self-motivated, able to juggle multiple competing priorities and someone who exercises diplomacy and judgment.
This person is responsible for ensuring the CHRO's Leadership team operates with the clarity, speed, governance, information, metrics, collaboration, and leadership norms needed to achieve our objectives successfully.
Project Implementation & Messaging
- Manages execution of the Objectives and Key Results (OKR) plan for Human Resources
- Collaborates with the Human Resources Team to develop and drive accountability of OKRs through planning, facilitation of, and participation in HR Leadership meetings and retreats and the sharing of metrics and ongoing communications with Human Resources staff and Enterprise Operations Leadership
- Proactively identifies issues that could impact the successful execution of the CHRO's objectives. Escalates issues the CHRO should be aware of and provides practical ideas to resolve the problem/mitigate the risk. Leads remediation for select issues and facilitates any needed collaboration between HR verticals to drive the solution
- Runs the quarterly map-out process, in which all HR initiatives and projects are laid out by dates and prioritized by organizational need and internal capacity. Ensures the milestones and deadlines for each project are being met
- Monitors the progress of critical projects in which the CHRO is especially interested and/or for which his awareness or participation is essential
Process Improvement & Collaboration
- Identifies opportunities for continued alignment among HR functions and partners with the team to implement strategic solutions
- Manages project progress by initiating conversations that focus on how tasks and projects flow between teams and can be optimized for a successful delivery outcome
- Participates in advancing EDF's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion goals to ensure that people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF's mission and core values
- Works closely with HR Communications lead in the coordination of "One HR" voice
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with senior leaders and colleagues at all levels and peer organizations to achieve organizational and HR priorities.
- May supervise and mentor one or more staff members, fostering their development and a culture of inclusion
- Partners effectively with colleagues across teams, demonstrating a willingness to share resources in service of the broader community
- Participates in the planning and implementation of the annual initial operating budget
- Responsible for delivering the annual instructions for preparing the HR budget plans, requests, and proposed operating budgets by individual budget administrators
- Responsible for active monitoring of the HR yearly budget quarterly and addressing variances promptly in partnership with Finance
- Approves department invoicing, ensuring the coding is correctly submitted.
- Provides monthly updates on the Department's YTD expenses to the CHRO
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant experience managing strategic solutions and leading a portfolio of projects
- An undergraduate degree in Business Management, Economics, Finance, HR, or a relevant field
- Understanding of OKR (or other goal-setting frameworks such as KPI, etc.), change management, and project management best practices.
- Broad overall knowledge of the various functions within HR
- Experience with a Human Capital Management system required; Workday preferred
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Empathy and ability to quickly build trusting relationships at all levels.
- Demonstrated comfort working with senior leadership
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential information with tact and discretion
- High energy, a hands-on, action-oriented, client-focused personality that will drive results
- Works well under pressure and consistently delivers on competing priorities with enthusiasm
- Thorough understanding of and experience with budgetary and accounting principles, practices, and policies
- Highly skilled in MS Excel
Please include a Cover Letter with your submission.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.