Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
We kindly request that individuals interested in this role include a cover letter, as well as 1-3 supplementary writing/work samples, by an application deadline of December 9th, 2022.
EDF’s Coasts and Watersheds team works in a bold and collaborative manner to ensure resilient ecosystems and communities along coasts and rivers thrive with water and are safe, equitable and prosperous places to live, work and play. This multi-faceted team deals with the many complex challenges associated with restoring natural systems to create sustainable communities in the U.S. and globally. The Initiative is part of EDF’s People and Nature Impact Area, which focuses on delivering food, water and climate benefits for a healthy planet.
EDF is seeking a Senior Communications Specialist to support strategic communications campaigns for its growing initiative to build climate resilient coasts and watersheds in the U.S and globally. This role will have direct involvement in ongoing regional efforts along the U.S. East Coast and Caribbean, including New York, New Jersey, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, and the Caribbean.
The Senior Communications Specialist will execute on a variety of communications campaigns and implement communications strategies across earned media, content development, social and digital promotion, events and more to persuasively connect with target audiences and advance EDF’s coasts and watersheds resilience goals.
This position can be performed 100% remotely from home, or out of any EDF office on a hybrid arrangement, for candidates residing within the Eastern timezone of the US.
- Implement communications strategies in support of EDF’s priority campaigns for its coasts and watersheds initiative.
- Manage day-to-day communications responsibilities for EDF’s involvement in regional coalitions in New York, New Jersey, Virginia, North Carolina and Florida, in collaboration with partner organizations.
- Support communication strategies in the Caribbean, including Cuba and Puerto Rico around coastal resilience.
- Create a wide range of communications materials for print and online, leveraging graphic design expertise where necessary.
- Execute earned media strategies by monitoring media coverage, maintaining media lists, developing creative story pitches, cultivating and maintaining reporter relationships, and distributing press materials to relevant media contacts.
- Coordinate, execute and document media events and tours, conferences and other on-the-ground opportunities.
- Develop content in support of communications campaigns including blogs, fact sheets, social media graphics and posts, and more.
- Draft opinion pieces, press releases, taking points, etc. with nuanced message under tight time constraints.
- Promote content strategically across digital and social platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Keep pulse on emerging technologies and platforms and help identify innovative strategies for reaching target audiences.
- Research and pitch EDF experts for conferences and speaking opportunities.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Maintain relevant databases, including media lists, press clips, internal documents and messaging, etc.
- Support senior communications and program staff as needed in achieving strategic team and coalition goals.
- Mentor junior staff including managing a communications intern helping set priorities and oversee work products.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant experience working in environmental advocacy, public relations, journalism or other communications or marketing-related field, with a demonstrated record of success.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, or Marketing; an advanced degree may substitute for up to 2 years of experience.
- Exceptional writing and copy-editing skills. Must write quickly and well under pressure and communicate complex and technical information clearly to many audiences.
- Knowledge of media landscape and ability to identify compelling stories and deliver targeted, engaging pitches to relevant journalists.
- Ability to design a wide variety of materials for print and digital distribution; photography, audio and video recording and editing capabilities a plus.
- Demonstrated success leveraging a wide variety of social media platforms and deploying innovative tactics to engage and reach supporters.
- Proactive, self-starter able to get things accomplished with minimal direct supervision.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills. Experience in project management and coordination required.
- Strong proficiency in a wide range of digital platforms and programs, including Microsoft Office, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, Canva, WordPress, Google Analytics, CisionPoint, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, and more.
- Experience with graphics design is preferred.
- Experience in the nonprofit sector with conservation issues is preferred.
- Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency, inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Must be willing to support 10-25% travel per year
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.