Holcim builds progress for people and the planet. As a global leader in innovative and sustainable building solutions, Holcim is enabling greener cities, smarter infrastructure and improving living standards around the world. With sustainability at the core of its strategy, Holcim is becoming a net zero company, with its people and communities at the heart of its success. The company is driving the circular economy as a world leader in recycling to build more with less. Holcim is the company behind some of the world’s most trusted brands in the building sector including ACC, Aggregate Industries, Ambuja Cement, Disensa, Firestone Building Products, Geocycle, Holcim and Lafarge.
Holcim is 70,000 people around the world who are passionate about building progress for people and the planet through four business segments: Cement, Ready-Mix Concrete, Aggregates and Solutions & Products. If you would like to get more information about our corporate organization in Switzerland specifically, please visit our company profile.
No agencies can be considered for this job posting, and no agency involvement is required unless contractually assigned.
As we continue to look for more sustainable ways to build, we need world-class talent to join our team. People who are passionate about sustainability, driven by curiosity and keen to grow, learn, develop and thrive in our high-performance culture.
The Sustainable Construction Specialist helps ensure that the Group lives up to its SD values, ambitions and continuously improves its SD performance, over the whole lifecycle of its products and services.
By his/her commitment, the Sustainable Construction Specialist directly contributes to the ambition of the Group to become a recognized leader in developing and marketing Sustainability Enhanced Solutions, in achieving transparency towards the market place on the environmental performance of products and services and in addressing the building needs of the many.
This includes following challenges and key objectives – in close cooperation with SD colleagues and other involved functions and with countries:
- Promote value creation through sustainable solutions – in close cooperation with Innovation, R&D and Marketing and Sales
- Drive environmental and social approach through entire value chain (focusing on solutions development, marketing, promotion, information)
- Provide tools for transparency on sustainability performance of products and services over their life-cycle
- Help promote Holcim as the global leader in innovative and sustainable building solutions.
The Sustainable Construction Specialist contributes to the definition of related Group wide SD ambitions. He/she supports the monitoring of the implementation of these ambitions as well as supports the countries to achieve the Group’s objectives.
- Contribute to the Sustainable Construction strategies, policies and directives of the Group in close cooperation with the Innovation, R&D and Marketing & Sales functions.
- Contribute to the definition of targets and initiatives related to Sustainable Products and Services; amongst others for low carbon, circular and energy efficient solutions.
- Help coordinate implementation of the Sustainable Construction strategies, policies and guidelines, ensure internal alignment. Support countries to implement and embed policies and improvement programs taking into account local specificities, market needs and key stakeholder needs.
- Support the SD performance and tools manager in the monitoring and reporting of related Group performance - through specific technical expertise.
- Support knowledge and practice exchange activities on Sustainable Construction topics between countries and SD professionals of the Group.
- Support operations in the development and deployment of Life-Cycle Assessments, Environmental Product Declarations and Responsible Sourcing Schemes (increasing transparency towards the market place on SD performance of products and services).
- Support the development of the annual Corporate Sustainable Development reporting for the Group, through specific technical expertise for Sustainable Construction related matters.
- Represent the Group towards key external environmental/sustainable construction stakeholders at corporate level, and within relevant associations or organizations (WBCSD, GCCA, Green Building Councils, …) for Sustainable Construction related matters.
- Contribute to build corporate partnerships supporting the achievement of Holcim strategic goals in Sustainable Construction.
- Build a strong link with the activities of the Holcim Foundation for Sustainable Construction, benefiting both parties.
- Support advocacy on related topics for an enabling policy framework – working in close cooperation with the Public Affairs function.
- Implement and monitor projects focused on Sustainable Construction topics including efficient design systems, green building certification tools, learning frameworks and digital technologies.
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent in (Civil or Structural) Engineering, Architecture, or Project/Construction Management.
- 1 to 5 y experience in the domain of Sustainable Construction and/or design in large organizations with multinational footprints (global level, regional level or country level).
- Experience working either in design or delivery of construction projects
Please Note: Early career candidates with strong academic backgrounds are also encouraged to apply with minimal practical experience.
Knowledge & Skills
Experience working with concrete and/or sustainability frameworks is not a key requirement for this role, however the ambition to learn and contribute positively to a built environment that works for people and the planet is.
The following attributes are advantageous to the role;
- Understanding of the use of cement/concrete products, of sustainable construction practices, of green building schemes, of life-cycle assessment frameworks.
- Understanding of the potential contribution of Holcim’s products to more sustainable construction practices with reduced footprint.
English – fluent (spoken and written). Any additional language skills would be an advantage (i.e. French, German, Spanish).
10% of the time spent travelling internationally