Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
The Senior Specialist, Ethics and Compliance will work within the Legal, Ethics and Compliance team, and collaborate with HR, Procurement, Grants, Internal Audit, and other teams to help implement and refine EDF’s Ethics-Based Compliance Program. Reporting to the Director & Senior Counsel – Ethics and Compliance, this role will provide essential support to EDF’s prevention, detection and response to unethical behavior, conflicts of interest, non-compliance or other misconduct, and work across the organization to develop a culture of compliance. Your organizational skills, issue spotting, problem solving, drafting, and investigative skills will support the team and EDF’s mission globally. You will be responsible for understanding the application of donor and other regulatory requirements to EDF’s operations, assist in the development of and training on policies and procedures, assist in identifying and responding to existent and emerging risks to EDF’s operations, and develop and implement corrective action plans to address areas for improvement. As a team, we are exposed to a broad range of legal and operational matters that a multinational nonprofit organization encounters, and you’ll have lots of opportunity to expand your skills and experience over time.
The position may be remote for U.S. candidates, with a preference for candidates in/near New York City and Washington D.C.
As a member of the LE&C team, we all share a responsibility for:
- upholding and advancing EDF’s core values of Respect, Integrity, Optimism, Innovation and Results and to help effectuate EDF’s commitments to diversity, inclusion and equity across its mission and operations;
- operating from a position of trust in one another’s professional skills, always assuming common purpose and good intentions, and acting out of kindness; and
- succeeding together.
As an individual contributor, you will be is responsible for:
- Under the guidance of Ethics and Compliance Director, collaborating with EDF's global operations teams to develop strategies, operationalize and track robust and globally consistent policies, procedures, controls, and systems to assure ongoing effectiveness of EDF's global ethics and compliance program and operations;
- Collaborating with others to keep the suite of EDF policies current;
- Working with other EDF Legal counsel and stakeholders to interpret local laws, regulation and cultural requirements;
- Assist in developing and implement training initiatives in collaboration with other stakeholders;
- Assisting tracking of and mitigation plans for conflicts of interest and outside employment;
- Support the Director, Ethics and Compliance in reviewing compliance cases and updating case management system.
- Helping to develop and maintain internal controls capable of preventing and detecting patterns of behavior of employees and others working with EDF globally;
- Participate in internal investigations and external audits, and coordinating with Internal Audit, HR and outside counsel as necessary and appropriate;
- Promoting the importance of a solid ethical culture and awareness of the EDF's ethics and compliance program;
- Advancing the Ethics function as a resource for teammates;
- Develop and manage enhancement of compliance reporting and metrics, develop and presentations; and
- Participating in advancing EDF diversity, equity and inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- 5+ years of experience with in-depth exposure to global compliance and ethics standards, anti-bribery/corruption laws and regulations, risk assessments and audit response.
- Strong attention to detail, deadlines and organization required.
- Ability to assist on complex and sensitive issues with discretion and confidentiality.
- Track record of translating complex compliance concepts into operational practices.
- Ability to make sound judgment calls and communicate complex concepts in a straightforward manner.
- Experience assisting in the developing, maintaining, implementing, promoting and managing an ethics and compliance program and code of conduct.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally and effectively in a fast paced, professional team environment.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Excellent writing, analytical, organization and interpersonal skills, with sound judgment and ability to influence and work with others in a growing, global operation.
- Non-profit business and compliance experience a plus.
- Familiarity and experience with various donor requirements (US Federal, UK, EU, etc.) a plus.
- CCEP or Certified Fraud Examiner status a plus.
- Optimism and sense of humor required.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.