Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Diversity Equity & Inclusion, the Senior Specialist of DEI is responsible for achieving EDF's strategic goals by having a specific focus on internal diversity, inclusion, and equity initiatives. This role will execute HR functions that support the development of the organization and build a positive reputation for the department with employees, managers, and leadership. Will support the implementation of a comprehensive Diversity Equity & Inclusion (DEI) plan for the global organization.
- Support a comprehensive Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) plan.
- Assist in the implementation of DEI policies.
- Liaise with Global Enterprise, Mission, Development and Marketing and Communication teams to strengthen existing policies and practices with a racial equity lens.
- Lead global diversity and inclusion programs and learn from global initiatives to enhance and strengthen the domestic programs.
- Collaborate with all offices to develop appropriate DEI initiatives by location.
- Work hand to hand with the base for the DEI communications to support program initiatives by utilizing goals and solid measurements.
- Provide assistance in the development and implementation of an annual diversity report that includes data insights and strategic plans for growth.
- Lead training programs; ensuring DEI training is tailored for staff in each country.
- Work with a mix of local diversity and inclusion councils and employee resource groups.
- Attend diversity career fairs and conferences as appropriate to develop EDF's brand.
- Stay current with leading research and innovative trends in the diversity and inclusion space, assess gaps and opportunities for improving EDF's DEI efforts, and build relationships with DEI professionals, organizations, and networks.
- Provide assistance and support to staff regarding onboarding and offboarding of staff, employee relations, counseling employees concerning work-related issues, interpreting and applying company policies, procedures, practices, benefits, salary changes, etc.
- Maintain DEI Insider page up to date.
- Monitor, evaluate, or record training activities or program effectiveness.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and high degree of cultural awareness, sensitivity, and flexibility.
- Bachelor's degree required and at least 5 years of relevant professional experience, experience with global non-profits a plus. The degree requirement may be waived altogether for a candidate who can successfully demonstrate commensurate professional experience along with excellence in their past roles.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills in one-on-one interactions, group situations, and through presentations and events.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to translate data and analytics into insights, stories, and visual representations to present and share across EDF.
- Ability to work both independently and collaborate effectively with diverse colleagues in a fast-paced, dynamic and entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to handle complex issues with discretion and maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to respond quickly to employee and leadership questions/inquiries, take the initiative, manage competing priorities, prioritize to meet tight deadlines, and work well under pressure while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, familiarity with HRIS (Workday preferred) and ability to use and learn other programs and systems as needed.
- Non-profit experience a plus and experience working across departments.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.