Job Title: Senior Program Officer, Supply Chain Innovation
Location: Remote - Worldwide (with significant overlap with US business hours)
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Manager, Supply Chain Innovation
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, improving livelihoods and protecting natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) -- the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1800 registered projects in 80 countries, and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
- Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta) -- a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards -- to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities, and conserve biodiversity.
- Plastic Waste Reduction Program -- to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
Verra is creating the new role of Senior Program Officer, Supply Chain Innovation, to support the development and implementation of a new Verra Scope 3 Program that will incentivize corporate GHG abatement activities. This is a unique opportunity to join an innovative team at the ground level to create a new program at the forefront of corporate climate action.
A day with Verra’s collaborative Innovations Team might include...
- Adapting existing VCS rules and infrastructure to support corporate inventory accounting, including drafting new standards and guidance, and adapting methodologies.
- Leading meetings with key external stakeholders (e.g., claims setting organizations, corporates, NGOs and industry/sector level experts) to investigate evolving corporate inventory accounting rules, practices, and associated claims, and to pilot preliminary versions of the new Scope 3 Program.
- Supporting Supply Chain Innovation Team meetings focused on developing Verra standards and methodologies to support the accounting of corporate GHG interventions.
- Exploring new, and adapting existing approaches for monitoring, reporting, and verification (MRV) of GHG reduction and removal projects within supply chains (e.g., Scope 3 interventions).
- Engaging internal staff to coach teams on the new program, and to investigate alignment, barriers, and solutions.
- Representing Verra’s Scope 3 Program at conferences, workshops, and events.
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading...
- Supporting the development and launch of a new Scope 3 Program, in collaboration with other Verra staff, by building on the VCS and other Verra standards, guidance, tools, and programs.
- Managing a consultant to adapt a VCS methodology for use in the Scope 3 Program.
- Consulting with stakeholders to identify how the Scope 3 Program and adapted methodologies could support and scale Scope 3 interventions in corporate supply chains.
- Designing and managing the implementation of a subset of pilot projects to test the efficacy of proposed Scope 3 Program design and an adapted VCS methodology for corporate Scope 3 interventions in one or more of: agriculture, forestry, manufacturing, transportation, materials, construction, or potentially other sector.
You bring with you...
- At least two years of relevant professional experience, preferably focused on corporate GHG inventory accounting.
- A relevant university degree (e.g. environmental science, engineering, GHG accounting, environmental policy, sustainability, natural sciences). A master’s degree would be advantageous.
- Technical background and demonstrated understanding and experience of greenhouse gas claims, target-setting and accounting standards and guidance, particularly, familiarity with the WRI/WBCSD Greenhouse Gas Protocol corporate accounting standards/guidance, ISO 14064-1, and/or Science-Based Targets Initiative.
- Experience working with environmental standards, ideally the Verified Carbon Standard.
- Track record of successfully navigating complex, interconnected and evolving policies and frameworks. An ability to think creatively and work collaboratively in a solution-oriented manner is essential. Being comfortable with uncertainty in an emerging field is necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently, be persistent, and prioritize. Project management experience is an asset.
- An open mindset and cultural awareness to learn from stakeholders and partners from different countries, cultures, sectors and standpoints.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is essential.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Working at the cutting edge of designing a new program to drive finance towards high-impact activities that tackle some of the most pressing environmental issues of our day.
- Creating approaches that are both highly credible and practical to implement.
- Researching and applying policies, standards, guidance and stakeholder actions pertaining to Scope 3 targets and interventions, and applying your research to inform Scope 3 Program design decisions.
- Expanding your network of professionals working on Scope 3 interventions and related sustainable development initiatives.
- Working with a dynamic, committed, and focused team of professionals from around the world.
You will know you are successful if...
- You are seen as a go-to resource for the Scope 3 Program by Verra staff.
- You successfully lead the implementation of one or more pilot projects and incorporate the findings into the design of a credible and practical Scope 3 Program.
- Stakeholders consistently express positive feedback regarding your ability to find credible, workable, and creative solutions to challenges in Scope 3 interventions accounting and to scaling climate action in corporate supply chains.
- You are seen as a reliable member of the Scope 3 Innovation Team by your peers and manager.
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including GHG accounting and carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, GIS/remote sensing experts, and more.
- That is committed to driving climate action and sustainable development at scale through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is USD $59,108 to $72,207.
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package, which also includes:
- Top-tier health, vision, and dental care, and life insurance coverage;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), comprising 22-30 days plus ten floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.