Environmental Defense Fund is hiring a
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Senior Principal Gifts Coordinator
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
Location: Hybrid 2-3 days or as needed reporting to EDF’s NYC office
The Senior Principal Gifts Coordinator will be part of an highly productive and growing Development team. The Senior Principal Gifts Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the efforts of senior fundraisers to cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of EDF’s leadership and principal donors. The Coordinator will be expected to employ the highest standards of a donor-centered approach to fundraising playing a key role in the solicitation and stewardship of EDF’s donors. This position is a growth opportunity for someone interested in gaining the skills to become a frontline fundraiser at a top organization. EDF is committed to the success and growth of departmental talent and this position provides a stellar opportunity to learn the trade from top fundraisers.
· Work closely with senior development officers to engage top donors; develop deep familiarity with their portfolios and work plans to assist and learn from the officers.
· Compose, edit, and proofread documents for senior officers’ donor meetings, briefings, proposals, stewardship reports, acknowledgements and other communications; coordinating with the Donor Communications team, ensuring documents meet the highest standards of writing and content reflects EDF’s priorities.
· Assist in the timely and accurate preparation of donor and prospect visits. Participate in strategy sessions.
· Enter data into Salesforce; analyze and develop various fundraising reports tracking goals, giving and fundraising activities.
· Coordinate and lead internal strategy calls with program, finance and development communications staff to facilitate appropriate and timely donor reports and proposals.
· Create a portfolio of information for strategy and planning process.
· Track EDF and other relevant environmental news. Make recommendations for outreach to senior development officer’s portfolio and draft correspondence designed to deepen donor engagement.
· Design and implement overall engagement and fundraising strategy for a portfolio of prospects with a capacity to make five-figure gifts.
· Coordinate program staff in the cultivation and solicitation of donors in assigned portfolio. Staff meetings and appropriately brief program colleagues.
· Oversee the drafting and editing of proposals and reports for assigned portfolio working closely with donor communications to ensure compelling, visionary ideas are presented.
· Engage donors in assigned portfolio to create cultivation events to deepen their engagement with EDF and help identify new prospects from their networks.
· Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
· Take the lead in onboarding and training of newly hired development coordinators.
· Actively manage and oversee administrative needs as necessary.
· Respond to donor and staff inquires and other special projects, as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience preferably in a fundraising, nonprofit or academic setting.
· Expert level proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and Internet research. Experience working with Salesforce, fundraising or relational databases strongly preferred.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to compose, edit, and expertly proofread correspondence and other documents.
· Strong strategic and analytical skills and the ability to convey complex ideas in writing, with a level of clarity and sophistication expected by our highly integral donors and prospects.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality while representing the organization and interfacing with all levels of staff at the national and affiliate offices, as well as with volunteers, donors, and outside vendors.
· High ability to actively listen to colleagues, senior development management and donors to deftly navigate and manage relationships.
· Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
· Demonstrates initiative and creativity; the ability to work independently as well as within a team.
· Desire to learn major gifts fundraising.
· Commitment to the mission of Environmental Defense Fund.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.