Ricardo is hiring a
Role: Senior/Principal Consultant – Heat Decarbonisation Team
Location: UK Flexible
Salary range: £35,000 - £60,000
Role ID: 2021-1386
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Senior/Principal Consultant to join our Heat Decarbonisation team.
Heat accounts for ~37% of the total UK carbon emissions and the decarbonisation of heat is the greatest challenge facing the UK (and beyond) in its transition to a net zero carbon economy. Within the Sustainable Infrastructure and Operations business unit, we have a dedicated Heat Decarbonisation team, comprising a 30-strong team of engineers, consultants and project managers. This team is at the forefront of delivering heat decarbonisation solutions in the UK and internationally, from working with governments to develop policy, to implementation of low carbon heat solutions in the public and private sectors. As the demand for our services grow, we are seeking to further grow our team and are looking for excellent consultants to add value to our team.
We are looking in particular for people with demonstrable experience and abilities across core consultancy skills, including project management, bid writing and technical project delivery. From a technical perspective, you will have knowledge and a track record of working in the some or all of the following areas:, low carbon heat options (heat pumps, solar, biomass), heat networks, CHP, Carbon Capture and Storage, and bioenergy/biomass supply chains. This experience may cover assessing and developing policy and guidance relating to the uptake of CHP, low carbon heat options and district heating; auditing programmes to assess compliance, evaluation of r technical and economic performance; and feasibility, engineering design and technical and financial due diligence.
• Excellent core consultancy skills – bid writing, project management
• Strong engineering skills
• Proven experience in technical and economic assessment
• Knowledge and experience of low carbon and renewable heat technologies
• Knowledge and understanding of bioenergy/biomass fuel supply chains
• Effective project/programme management skills
• Professional, diligent, and strong attention to detail
• Experienced in the preparation of complex proposals and, ideally an effective networker and business developer
• Excellent organizational abilities
• Good problem solving
• Experience in leading technical teams in project delivery
Key competencies and experience
• A Chartered (or progressing to Chartership) mechanical, process or chemical engineer with proven experience.
• Understanding of government policies related to renewable heat, CHP, heat markets and associated district heating and cooling networks
• Experience in managing large projects and programmes will be advantageous
• Experience in conducting Low Carbon Heat/CHP/District Heating feasibility studies
• Experience in working in Consultancy, engineering or an evaluation team at a utilities company
• Have knowledge of the market and regulatory framework for renewable heat, CHP and District heating/Cooling in the UK and Europe
• In addition, you will demonstrate good attention to detail, technical report writing ability and be able to assimilate information quickly
• Experience in client management and proposal writing
You will need to hold a Full UK Driving license for this position which involves UK travel, including the delivery of site audits across a wide range of programmes.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure an inclusive culture, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.