Job Title: Senior Policy Analyst
Reports to: Director of Data, Policy & Planning
Location: Coachella Valley, (Palm Desert, CA)
Salary Range: $70,000 - $82,000
Details: Full Time, on-site only
Date Posted: October 19, 2022
ABOUT LIFT TO RISE
Lift To Rise formed to catalyze a regional collective impact model for which we serve as the backbone organization. We coordinate over 60 private, public, nonprofit, and resident partners in two collaborative action networks (CANs) – the Housing CAN and the Economic Mobility CAN – whose goals are to radically increase housing stability and advance economic mobility for all Coachella Valley families.
In January of 2020, the Housing CAN launched a bold initiative to reduce rent burden by 30%– identified through deep community engagement as a central force of instability in residents’ lives through the production of 10,000 units of affordable housing in the Coachella Valley by 2028. Every two years, the Housing CAN develops a shared Action Plan, which outlines a multipronged policy, pipeline, and investment strategy to guide our collective work toward our unit production goal. At present, the Housing CAN has identified over 6,000 units across nearly 70 projects at various stages of the development process that make up our “affordable housing pipeline.” To learn more, please visit: http://lifttorise.org
The Senior Policy Analyst will work collaboratively with the Director of Data, Policy & Planning, other Lift
to Rise staff, and key organizational partners to support local, state, and federal policy advocacy efforts
around radically improving housing stability and economic mobility in the Coachella Valley.
The Senior Policy Analyst will be responsible for:
- Writing and researching policy memos, support letters, white papers, issue briefs, reports, public comments, newsletters, op-eds, talking points and other materials in support of the Housing CAN’s policy advocacy efforts.
- Tracking and analyzing local ordinances, state and federal legislation, and program rules and regulations that impact affordable housing financing and production and economic mobility outcomes.
- Staying current on local, state, and federal policy and advocacy efforts across relevant policy areas and the organizations/agencies working on these efforts.
- Conducting background research and collecting and analyzing data across multiple policy domains; synthesizing research findings and incorporating data and evidence into policy recommendations.
- Translating complex policy information into accessible, persuasive, and engaging collateral for a variety of audiences and stakeholders.
- Attending and participating in monthly Housing CAN meetings and co-facilitating the Housing CAN’s Policy Workgroup.
- Supporting the organization’s efforts to work in collaboration with partner organizations through research and data.
- Developing and deepening relationships with relevant stakeholders.
- Participating in organization-wide action planning, strategy development, and communications activities.
- Identifying and strategically engaging policy trends, events, and milestones that further establish Lift to Rise as a thought leader.
- Other duties, as assigned, dependent on organizational needs.
- Bachelor’s degree required in related field (preferably Public Policy or Planning), Advanced Degree preferred.
- Strong writing and research skills required.
- Experience with affordable housing policy and/or land use planning preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required, proficiency with STATA, Python, R, SQL or any other software with data management capabilities preferred.
- Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with a diverse set of cross-sector stakeholders and partners.
- Experience working in diverse communities.
- Must maintain professional boundaries and confidentiality at all times.
- A passion and authentic commitment to justice and equity for people of all ethnicities, races, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, economic circumstances, physical and mental abilities and characteristics, and philosophies.
- Demonstrated commitment to resident and community issues, as well as to maintaining the integrity of the vision, mission, and values of Lift to Rise.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing (including email, phone, and video conferencing).
- Willing and able to travel as needed across the Coachella Valley and other locales: must have transportation resources available, valid state ID, and maintain a clean driving record
- Able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Able to frequently walk, sit, and perform other job duties in both indoor and outdoor environments
- Able to occasionally stand for long periods of time
- Visual acuity to operate computer and laptop for extended periods of time
- Able to occasionally lift up to 30-40 pounds without assistance
To apply for this position, please send your resume and a cover letter that clearly indicates how your experience and qualifications align with this position to: https://lifttorise.bamboohr.com/careers/38?source=aWQ9MjQ%3D. We encourage you to be detailed and direct in your cover letter, so we can best understand your interest and potential fit. Incomplete applications will not be considered.