Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Senior Manager, Federal Affairs
The Senior Manager, Federal Affairs, is a senior member of EDF’s lobby team, representing the organization’s interests on several EDF priorities on Capitol Hill and within the Administration. This role is responsible for planning and executing a creative lobbying and advocacy strategy that advances the mission and goals of EDF, especially as it pertains to clean energy, energy efficiency and climate innovation.
The Senior Manager, Federal Affairs has knowledge and experience to drive legislative strategy forward, collaborates effectively with team members across EDF programs, and cultivates external relationships with key stakeholders and policymakers. This position reports to the Associate VP, Federal Affairs.
This position will be based in EDF’s Washington, DC office.
- Develop a network of relationships with policymakers, thought leaders, and other policy professionals with a focus on climate, energy, and environmental issues.
- Effectively advocate for EDF priorities in legislation and administrative actions.
- Manage the day-to-day relationships with Members of Congress and staff who serve on key committees in the House and Senate.
- Represent EDF on various, diverse coalitions; identify and advocate for EDF’s policy priorities within these coalitions and find creative pathways that achieve policy goals. Partner with trade associations, think tanks, policy organizations, and NGOs.
- Work directly with EDF political and programmatic teams to identify viable legislative or administrative pathways for policy priorities and develop effective strategies to utilize those paths.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Minimum eight years of experience in the development and/or execution of energy and environmental policy plus Bachelors or equivalent experience.
- Proven experience in government relations and a solid understand of Capitol Hill and legislative strategy.
- Extensive knowledge of federal policymaking, the legislative process, and administrative levers, especially as it pertains to technological development and deployment of innovative solutions to address climate change.
- Familiarity with the science of climate change.
- A strong understanding of coalition building, and the environmental community.
- Able to identify viable legislative or administrative pathways for policy priorities and develop effective strategies to utilize those paths.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Comfortable working in a collaborative, inclusive workplace.
- Ability to bring together multiple perspectives into a cohesive effort.
- Ability to effectively communicate with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and writing skills with an ability to create materials and/or presentations that represent the organization’s positions and priorities.
- Proven ability to build strong relationships quickly.
- Willingness to work across the political spectrum and develop positive bipartisan and bicameral relationships.
- Willingness and ability to register as a federal lobbyist is an important plus.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.