Global Communities works at the intersection of humanitarian assistance, sustainable development and financial inclusion to save lives, advance equity and secure strong futures. We support communities at the forefront of their own development in more than 35 countries, partnering with local leaders, governments, civil society and the private sector to achieve a shared vision of a more just, prosperous and equitable global community.
Global Communities is seeking a Senior Manager, AfriScout to join the team in Kenya. The Senior Manager is an international position responsible for managing AfriScout’s overall strategy, overseeing operations (Kenya, Ethiopia, Tanzania), cultivating new and existing partnerships, and fundraising, in close coordination with Senior Global Communities management, AfriScout Founder/President and Governance Board and . The Senior Manger will manage various revenue streams (including grants, income and investments internationally and across the region. AfriScout is a US Based LLC (Limited Liability Company) wholly owned and operated by the non-profit organization Global Communities. The mission of AfriScout is to “Regenerate Africa’s Drylands While Improving the Livelihoods of its Stewards.”
The Senior Manager will also work closely with the Head of Community Engagement, Senior Software Engineer and country-based coordinators to build a consistently efficient and effective field agent network which supports our users and their management practices. Provide financial oversight and ensure grant compliance in coordination with Global Communities local finance and operations teams.
- Oversee and support the community engagement team to design and implement strategies to meet targets to grow our user base and maximize user engagement and rangeland restoration.
- Lead and manage the software development team (both staff and outside service providers, (one staff member) to set and implement a clear product roadmap and ensure continuous product functionality and usability.
- Work with Global Communities HQ and in-country finance and operations teams to oversee and manage the operational, financial, and administrative needs of AfriScout including financial planning, budget management and cost efficiency, and high-quality grant and contract compliance.
- Ensure strong team organization, effective planning, and performance.
- With staff, partners, and sub-contractors, translate project goals, objectives, and milestones into implementable strategies and plans. Ensure quality delivery.
Strategy and Growth
- Work closely with the AfriScout Global Advisor (Senior Director for Innovation based in San Diego CA), Senior GC Management and Board of Advisors to develop and refine strategies to achieve AfriScout’s vision and progress towards financial sustainability. These strategies will include but are not limited to creating optimal benefit sharing models, monetizing livestock market information features, piloting new market-driven partnerships with livestock value chain actors and determining carbon project expansion opportunities. Ensure these strategies are then well executed. Work with the teams as needed to prototype and learn, ensure we use lean ways to achieve progress in expanding AfriScout’s quality as a product and increasing the size of its user base.
- Work inclusively with the AfriScout leadership team to conduct quarterly planning process for setting organizational objectives and key results (OKRs). Ensure that team goal setting is in alignment with Objectives and Key Results.
- Build a motivated, cohesive culture and solid organizational structure to prove viability with the carbon program and other market-based models. Adapt operating models to grow and expand to new territories.
- Network, engage and secure investments from international donors and impact investors that support AfriScout’s work.
- Liaison, inform and develop close partnerships with government agencies across the three countries that support pastoralism and could leverage the app to strengthen their services.
- Monitor trends and evolving realities in the sector. Raise opportunities to AfriScout Global Advisors and Global Communities leadershi
Position Special Responsibilities
- Position will be posted in Kenya to support regional operations.
- Position is expected to travel 25% of the time within Ethiopia, Kenya and Tanzania.
- Promote a culture of excellence, inclusion, learning, support, diversity, and innovation
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated skills in data management for the purpose of data use, i.e., skills in data management systems, analytics, data visualization, data presentation platforms, and user-centered system design
- Excellent stakeholder management skills and demonstrated ability to foster collaboration internally between CLA and program teams, with partners, and external stakeholders
- Excellent writing, editing, presentation, public speaking, and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize, summarize and present complex information in a simple and user-friendly ways for non-M&E audiences.
- Proven leadership skills and demonstrated experience developing, mentoring, and building the capacity of staff and partners.
- Excellent facilitation and training skills
- Excellent analytical and self-motivation skills; excellent advocacy and persuasion skills; able to think critically, systems-thinker.
- Understanding and experience in carbon markets and biomass preservation or regeneration.
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline with a minimum of six years of related work experience or a minimum of ten years of related work experience.
- Four years’ experience working in a start-up environment or leading social impact activities in rural areas.
- Experience supporting and expanding applications of digital platforms in low-resource African countries.
- Experience with farmers and pastoral populations highly desired.
- Experience working with product or software development teams a plus.
- Flexibility and ability to transition and actively engage across a variety of roles and settings – from the village to the board room.
- Fluency in English; Kiswahili or Amharic a plus.
- Experience managing and growing teams.
- Strong local networks: experience and relationships working with players in pastoral counties, the livestock sector, and in telecommunications is highly desired.
- Proven ability to motivate and inspire.
- Strong analytical and communication skills: ability to effectively synthesize data and prepare clear, compelling, and high-quality reports and presentations.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work a nontraditional work schedule.
- Balance: combining patience, empathy, and honesty with the assertiveness.
The salary for this position is $87,997 - 131,996. Salary is based on several factors including qualifications, experience, and internal equity.
As an organization working to advance public health, Global Communities has an obligation to model best practices and to do all we can to protect each other, our partners and the communities where we work. To ensure the continuity and effectiveness of our business operations, Global Communities is adopting a policy to safeguard the health of our visitors, employees, families, and the larger global community from COVID-19. Effective January 3, 2022, all U.S.-based Global Communities employees are required to provide proof of having received full dosage of COVID-19 vaccine that is FDA approved, approved for emergency use authorization, or have an approved medical or religious exemption on file with Global Communities, as a condition of employment.
Global Communities holds strict safeguarding principles and has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment. In the process of recruitment, selection, and appointment, Global Communities will conduct robust reference and background screening checks, including international vetting as a signature of the Global Misconduct Disclosure Scheme to ensure children and vulnerable adults are safeguarded, and abuse is prevented. The incumbent is required to carry out their duties in accordance with Global Communities Safeguarding policy and the Standards of Conduct.
Global Communities is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.