About Accion Impact Management:
Accion Impact Management LLC (AIM) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Accion created in 2022 to manage investment funds launched by Accion to promote Accion’s mission of creating a financially inclusive world. AIM provides investment management services to funds promoted by Accion--currently including the Accion Digital Transformation Fund LP (ADTx) and Accion Venture Lab (AVL). AIM will provide investment management services to Accion´s future investment fund initiatives. AIM is a Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) with the U.S. Security Exchange Commission (SEC).
Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a trailblazing legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the 1.8 billion people who are left out of, or poorly served by, the financial sector. For more than 60 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through our work with more than 200 partners in 63 countries. More at http://www.accion.org.
Accion Digital Transformation (ADTx):
ADTx has been formed to invest in scaled microfinance or other financial institutions focused on lending to micro, small and medium enterprise (MSMEs) and other underserved and unbanked populations within emerging markets. The goal of the fund is to provide growth capital and strategic support to portfolio companies to undergo digital transformations, so that they may increase social impact by reaching larger underserved populations, operating more efficiently, and using innovative technology to offer needs-driven products to their clients. The fund’s investment strategy combines equity and quasi-equity instruments with active engagement as a shareholder and through board representation to create value. The fund is expected to reach committed capital of between US$125 to US$150 million. The fund works closely with LPs to develop co-investment opportunities.
Senior Investment Officer for the ADTx investment team bring deep expertise in private equity investing in emerging market, particularly in regulated financial inclusion institutions that are developing innovative digital financial services. This position should also bring operational knowledge of how financial service providers can leverage technology to scale. We expect ADTx investments in Africa will represent roughly 25-35% of total geographic allocation of the fund. The Senior Investment Officer will have influence on the ADTx strategy and portfolio allocation in the region. The candidate will collaborate with ADTx’s Operating Partner along with Accion’s Global Advisory Solutions (GLAS) team and other advisory groups to help develop digitization strategies for companies and will liaise with company boards and management teams to ensure alignment. The candidate may manage an Investment Analyst as appropriate for the size of the fund and opportunities in the region.
- Lead the investment process along with the Managing Partners for transactions in Africa as well as support the team globally as needed; the investment process includes identifying equity investment targets consistent with the fund’s impact mission and digitization theme, leading deal execution, presenting deal analysis and investment recommendations to the Investment Committee, negotiating deals (including legal documentation), ensuring compliance with ESG policies, helping develop a digitization strategy, managing the equity investment portfolio, and developing exit alternatives;
- Prepare, and oversee the preparation of detailed financial models, projections, and valuations to analyze equity investment and divestment opportunities and report to LPs;
- Provide strategic support for portfolio companies, such as developing suitable alliances, raising new debt and equity, and providing input on strategic decisions, especially ESG and digitization initiatives;
- Represent ADTx on portfolio company boards as appropriate;
- Build co-investment consortia and develop strong relationships with co-investors;
- Develop and execute along with the Managing Partners responsible commercial exit strategies for portfolio companies;
- Provide ongoing support to the Operations and Finance team on portfolio company valuation and reporting;
- Work closely with Managing Partners to build a strong brand and culture, while assuring that Accion Impact Management adheres to industry best practices;
- Represent Accion Impact Management locally in the Africa market and globally, participating in professional development and knowledge sharing activities externally and within Accion as appropriate.
Qualifications and requirements:
- 10+ years of work experience of private equity focused on financial institutions, identifying investments, negotiating transactions and managing investments with deep ties and experience in Africa;
- Masters level degree in business or finance;
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English is required, French is a plus;
- Experience implementing value creation strategies and digitally-enabled strategies with financial institutions , especially in Africa, or entrepreneurial experience a plus;
- Experience in influencing board and management strategies;
- Due diligence and analytical experience to identify commercially sustainable investments;
- Ability to create a strong network of relationships among peers, internal partners, external constituencies and decision makers to deliver end-products;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity, willingness and ability to work across all levels of organization and colleagues from diverse backgrounds. Proven experience in developing senior executive presentations and communications;
- Ability to work independently while working with a global team;
- Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
- Excellence: Accion staff should always put forth their best effort in all activities, strive for high quality of collective and individual performance; and demonstrate honesty and integrity at all times while in the workplace and while working on behalf of the organization.
- Respect: Accion staff should value one another’s roles and responsibilities as much as their own, be encouraging, and value the diverse and unique perspectives of colleagues. They should honor obligations and commitments to each other and to external partners.
- Passion for Social Change: Accion staff should be committed to making a difference in the lives of those less fortunate, value the greater good of the organization over personal gain, and promote a productive workplace by acknowledging the accomplishments of others.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and letter of interest online at www.accion.org