IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $100 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 600. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified Senior Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) and Research Advisor candidates for an anticipated USAID-funded positive youth development program in the Dominican Republic. The GESI and Research Advisor will support local, youth-led organizations and the overall program to ensure that the considerations of girls, young women and marginalized groups are mainstreamed throughout program activities, through facilitating and building others’ capacity to facilitate youth-led GESI assessments. The Advisor will also support, coach, and mentor local, youth-led organizations to plan and carry out inclusive, participatory implementation research,* contextualizing global tools for the local context. The Advisor will coach the implementation team in using inclusive data for decision-making and in adapting implementation approaches to strengthen inclusiveness, effectiveness, relevance, and other key dimensions of their positive youth development activities. This position is contingent on funding.
*Note: IREX customized an approach to implementation research for youth practitioners in this toolkit. Implementation research draws from a range of conceptual frameworks and methodologies that all focus on using data to understand how and why programs work in real-world conditions. IREX’s approach embeds research into implementation, enabling organizations to gather data, take what they learn, and turn it into what they do in real time. Implementation research helps teams learn how to adapt tested programs to new contexts, how to strengthen relevance and adoption, how to scale and achieve sustainability, and how to strengthen effectiveness.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Contextualize existing participatory GESI assessment tools for the local context; facilitate and support local organizations and youth research teams to carry out gender, inclusion, and protection analyses to identify identity-based opportunities and constraints facing diverse youth; and carry out or support additional research focusing on specific gender and inclusion issues as needed
- In collaborate with the program team, and as requested, develop, implement, and monitor a gender and inclusion integration strategy to ensure diverse youth benefit equitably from the program and to reduce identity-based disparities experienced by youth
- Recommend and advise on accountability mechanisms for meaningful inclusion across program component areas
- Contextualize existing implementation research tools for the local context; provide technical training, mentoring, and support to local youth organizations to carry out inclusive implementation research in order to strengthen their programming
- Contribute to strengthening gender, inclusion, protection, and using data and research for program decision-making and program adaptation; collaborate with all program teams as requested
- Contribute to workplanning and monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Train program staff and consultant on inclusion best practices, do no more harm principles, safeguarding and prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) of underage and vulnerable participants, as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications:
- Must be a citizen of or permanent resident with work authorization in the Dominican Republic
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred) in education, youth development, gender studies, sociology, human rights, public policy, or a related field of social studies
- At least five (5) years of progressive experience working on gender and/or social inclusion programs and/or inclusive youth development programs
- At least three (3) years of experience leading, collaborating on, and/or facilitating participatory action research or other participatory research methodologies
- Preferred experience working with USAID-funded programs
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills required
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to interact and cooperate effectively with a large and multicultural team
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask
- Spanish fluency; excellent written and verbal communication skills in English strongly preferred.
Click on "Apply" below to submit your CV for consideration.