Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
The Senior Financial Analyst, People & Nature will help develop, track, and analyze budgets and fundraising proposals; organize and present financial data for reporting and decision-making; and execute financial processes for the Climate-Smart Agriculture and Climate Resilient Water Systems workstreams of the People and Nature team. This position collaborates with the Mission Finance lead of each workstream on organizing data, completing financial reports, reviewing grants, contracts and subawards, performing financial analysis and projections, reconciling variances, and identifying and resolving any issues. The Senior Financial Analyst will pursue continuous improvement in reporting and processes used to monitor budgets and present moderately complex financial data for decision-making to both financial and non-financial audiences.
The Senior Financial Analyst will report to the Senior Finance Manager and will be a member of the Mission Finance team within the Enterprise Operations Department, partnering with other Mission Finance staff and staff of the Finance and Development Departments. Working in EDF’s matrixed environment, the Senior Financial Analyst will work with the Mission Finance leads to ensure the production of timely, accurate, and insightful financial information for various stakeholders.
Location: This is a remote position with a preference for candidates in New York.
- Execute financial planning and reporting activities as well as the support workstream leads with day-to-day financial processes, including expense reclasses, invoicing, contract financial review, ensuring correct coding of expenses, and as needed updating forecasts on behalf of the People and Nature’s Climate-Smart Agriculture and Climate Resilient Water Systems workstreams.
- Collaborate with People and Nature’s Climate-Smart Agriculture and Climate Resilient Water Systems workstream Mission Finance leads on the following, as needed:
- Produce timely month-end reports of actual vs. budget results, ensuring accuracy and completeness and investigating, analyzing, and explaining variances from budget for income and expense line items.
- Identify issues in budget management and work with workstream staff to correct.
- Prepare and facilitate fundraising proposal budgets and donor financial reports on awarded revenue.
- Prepare budgets and financial reports for various stakeholders, including Mission staff, internal management, finance staff, and senior operations leads.
- Manage one or more grants, including government grants, and their funds, as applicable.
- Collaborate with project, Finance, and Mission Operations staff to produce monthly forecasting, the development of annual budgets, and grant proposals and reports.
- Assist in the development of department and workstream annual budget submissions.
- Participate in departmental meetings and trainings with the Enterprise Operations and People and Nature’s Climate Resilient Water Systems and Climate-Smart Agriculture workstreams.
- Participate in advancing EDF’s diversity, equity, and inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF’s values.
- Contribute to projects or initiatives that serve the broader People and Nature Mission Finance team, as applicable.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- 4+ years of relevant experience with a Bachelor’s in Business Administration, Finance, or Accounting, or related field required. An advanced degree may substitute for 2 years of experience.
- Proven knowledge of budgeting, forecasting, and reporting required.
- Experience leading work of a project, initiative, or program.
- Demonstrated familiarity of GAAP and thorough understanding of non-profit accounting principles and grants management.
- Experience reporting to government grants, foundations, and private donors is preferred.
- Experience with NetSuite or other forecasting/budgeting reporting SAAS is preferred.
- Finance, grants, or fund accounting experience in a non-profit organization is strongly preferred.
- Ability to perform financial analysis and to create insight from a large-scale general ledger.
- Expertise in MS Office Suite, especially Excel, including advanced proficiency in developing formulas, pivot tables, charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by management.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to spot trends and ensure accuracy.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills with the ability to effectively liaise with colleagues, particularly communicating financial information to a broad audience with differing needs.
- Solid organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to multi-task and be flexible under pressure with changing priorities and perform well in a fast-paced team environment.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work productively and independently as well as collaboratively with a team.
- Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.