Contract length: 1 year or continuous
Location: Home-based (preferred within UTC±3)
Reporting to: CEO
Deadline for applications: 25 January, 2023
CLEAR Global is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to having a diverse team where individuals of all backgrounds collaborate and learn from one another. We believe we can be most effective with diverse experience and expertise in our team. We recruit on merit, actively seek diverse applicant pools, and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, marital or parental status, or sexual orientation, and welcome all types of diversity.
We offer in addition to salary:
- an innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team,
- 20 days of annual leave and 10 days of floating holidays,
- the flexibility of home-based/remote work
CLEAR Global has expanded our work and our program over the past six years; our finance systems and processes need an overhaul in order to keep up with the increased need for timely, reliable financial information across the organization. While this is happening, the organization needs a solid senior financial manager to both input into the system change and ensure that day-to-day operations run smoothly.
The Senior Finance Manager is a part of the leadership team reporting to the Chief Executive. The role oversees diverse income streams (sponsorships, individual donations, social enterprise activities, institutional grants, and foundation funding); diverse entities with specific requirements (Ireland, Bangladesh, Nigeria, and the US); as well as overall financial health and stability. In addition, CLEAR Global is almost wholly remote, simplifying some aspects, and making others more complex.
The profile includes very strong accounting and finance knowledge, analytical skills, attention to detail, knowledge of finance systems, accounting software, ability to work effectively under time pressure, very strong business partnering skills with ability to influence senior staff. The successful candidate will be a team player, proactive with the ability to offer structured guidance on a strategic level, and able to ensure that the right financial priorities are set for the organization within a broader program.
- Develop finance organizational strategies:
- Lead on financial and accounting information, analysis, and recommendations to strategic thinking and direction;
- Develop and ensure compliance with organizational financial processes and procedures
- Establish donor budgeting guidelines and review donor budgets, prepare and/or approve donor reports.
- Establish finance operational strategies:
- Evaluate trends, particularly in new income and expenditure targets;
- Establish KPIs and monitor relevant dashboards;
- Design systems to support accurate and timely income and expenditure monitoring;
- Coordinate banking operations and maintain liaison with bankers;
- Implement changes as the organization develops, adapting to new income sources and expenditure locations.
- Ensure organizational compliance:
- Ensure audits are completed and submitted on time to relevant authorities
- Determine and enforce systems and process to ensure compliance with donor requirements
- Oversee and maintain appropriate checks and balances across financial processes
- Maintain organizational risk register; ensure organization has appropriate insurance coverage.
- Ensure risk mitigation measures are put in place and implemented, taking the lead on financial risk specifically.
- Manage and develop finance human resources:
- Determine accountabilities;
- Communicate and develop values, policies, and procedures;
- Implement recruitment, selection, orientation, training, coaching, counseling, disciplinary, and communication programs for all staff on finance functions;
- Plans, monitors, appraises, and reviews job contributions;
- Plans and reviews compensation strategies with HR and Leadership teams.
- Develop financial strategies:
- Lead on development of organizational budgeting and reforecasting
- Develop and implement guidelines and processes related to fair sharing of administrative and finance support costs
- Forecast capital, facilities, and staff requirements;
- Identify monetary resources;
- Develop action plans.
- Monitor financial performance:
- Prepare and submit complete, accurate, reliable and timely financial reports to ED, managers, donors, Board/Treasurer.
- Ensure quality review of balance sheet, income statement, grants and contracts receivable/payable accounts, etc at least monthly.
- Measure and analyze results;
- Initiate corrective actions;
- Review and recommend to the CEO the investment of organizational reserves;
- Develop plans to minimize exposure to currency gains and losses
- Minimize the impact of variances.
- Report financial status:
- Develop forecasts;
- Monitor accounts payable and receivable and cash flow, initiating appropriate action to minimize operational disruptions.
- Report results;
- Analyze variances;
- Develop improvements.
- Accomplishes finance and organization mission by completing related results.
- Assist the CEO and other senior staff in the development of project proposals,
- Develop financial and accounting training program to include manuals to meet the organizational goals for sustainable improved performance in financial management;
- Assist the CEO in preparing responses to audit findings, planning and implementing audit recommendations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
At least ten years as a Head of Finance or equivalent experience
Ten to fifteen years experience in international not-for-profit financial, budgeting, accounting, financial reporting, grants/contract management, and business management in developing countries, including experience with US tax compliance. Preferably at HQs level.
At least three years experience in a developing country
- Thorough understanding of financial accounting, reporting and grants and contract management processes;
- Solid analytical and problem solving, financial troubleshooting and audit experience;
- Ability to maintain customer focus while handling multiple priorities;
- Ability to quickly earn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt local practices to global standards;
- Knowledge of and experience with generally accepted accounting principles;
- Excellent leadership, coaching and negotiation skills;
- Ability to work on teams, work at detailed level and understand the larger picture;
- Strong oral and written communication skills; Must be comfortable communicating in writing and electronically;
- Experience with Quickbooks online or equivalent system;
- Must be able to work independently with limited direct supervision. Must be self-starting and able to meet deadlines
- English language fluency required.
- Familiarity and comfort with cloud-based computing, on-line banking and filing and software
About CLEAR Global
CLEAR Global exists to help people get vital information, and be heard, whatever language they speak. We believe that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers. Our network of over 100,000 community members translate millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year.
CLEAR Global employees and volunteers are people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. CLEAR Global’s mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
- Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, CLEAR Global is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
- Integrity: CLEAR Global believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
- Empowerment: CLEAR Global believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
- Innovation: CLEAR Global recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
- Sustainability: CLEAR Global recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
- Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
CLEAR Global may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.