Sacred Heart Community Service is hiring a
Senior Director of Community Development
Sacred Heart Community Service (SHCS) located in San José, CA is looking for a passionate
leader of the organization’s community development teams which spearhead investment and
involvement in the fight against poverty. The Senior Director of Community Development
facilitates the creation and deployment of a compelling case for support of our work while
reinforcing a narrative of collective responsibility and opportunity to challenge and change
economic, political, and cultural systems such as have served to empower some while
oppressing many. The person in this position must be highly organized and possess superior oral
and written communication skills, demonstrated leadership development skills, and the ability
to work flexibly and creatively. The ideal candidate must be equally committed to our vision of a
community united to ensure every child and adult is free from poverty, an approach of driving
policy change through transformational leadership development, and teaching and living an
anti-racism and anti-oppression worldview. For 58 years, SHCS has been one of the leading
institutions addressing poverty in Santa Clara County through a strategy that combines
addressing the consequences of poverty through impactful programs while building power with
people to push for systemic change.
The Senior Director of Community Development Director provides leadership in SHCS’ efforts to build
community, and cultivate allies and investment in our vision, mission, programs, and campaigns. As
leader of the Fund Development team, this position is responsible for developing, implementing, and
tracking SHCS’ plan to secure and administer funding from individuals and institutional funding sources.
The position spearheads efforts to engage philanthropic leaders in how to leverage their positional
power to advance campaigns for racial and economic justice. The Senior Director also leads and supports
the Community Engagement team which engages, educates and involves community stakeholders in our
efforts through volunteerism, mutual support initiatives, and civic engagement. The position supports
the development and implementation of SHCS’ strategic plan by engaging stakeholders in the creation
and financial support of the plan.
Description of Duties
Fund Development (50-60%)
● Leads the creation, implementation, and tracking of a comprehensive and diversified fund
development plan and programs, including research and development, setting and measuring
development goals, creating and monitoring timelines and work plans, budgeting, working with
staff, Board of Directors, and members.
● Supports the development of SHCS Strategic, Operating, and Community Action Plans. Develops
those plans into a compelling case for support for SHCS.
● Leads the cultivation and solicitation of top-level gifts, sponsorships, endowment solicitations,
and planned gifts. Personally supports major donor solicitation activities by the Executive
Director, Board of Directors, and Senior Management Team.
SHCS Senior Director of Community Development Job Announcement page 1
● Directs and implements efforts to cultivate member participation in grassroots fundraising and
decision-making through member engagement in program advisory committees, mutual support
committees, and action committees.
● Oversees the development of annual giving program, including donor communications, special
events, donor recognition and stewardship efforts.
● Provides leadership and support for the development of proposals to government, foundation,
and corporate funding sources, working closely with the development team, program leadership,
collaborative partners, and finance staff.
● Directs the Community Development team’s involvement in grant administration, contract
compliance, reporting, stewardship, and policies and procedures.
● Provides training, support, direction and feedback to the Funds Development team.
● Supports the recruitment and hiring of program staff and interns.
Community Engagement (25-30%)
● Supervises the development, implementation, and evaluation of community engagement
programs designed to cultivate deeper engagement of members and partner institutions. Directs
Community Development Team in research and development, setting and measuring impact
goals, monitoring timelines and work plans, working with staff, Board of Directors, and
● Ensures alignment of community engagement efforts with resource development and program
● Leads direct engagement of philanthropic leaders and individual donors to get involved in policy
change efforts. Oversees the development of compelling narratives and media designed to move
individuals and institutions to take action on the root causes and consequences of poverty.
● Provides direct support to the Community Engagement Team’s efforts to recruit, develop, and
cultivate relationships with members and partner institutions capable of growing SHCS’ base of
support, membership, and leadership.
● Provides training, support, direction and feedback to the Community Development team.
● Supports the recruitment and hiring of program staff and interns.
● Supports and oversees the development and implementation of strategic communications plan
and program, working in collaboration with the Director of Communications and Special Events.
● Ensures the alignment and deployment of common narratives across communication platforms
with stakeholders, including support for the development and dissemination of external
● Supports media relations efforts, including press cultivation, messaging, and identifying and
presenting stories to the media. Serves as media spokesperson as needed.
● Provides training, support, direction and feedback to the Director of Communications & Special
Events and team.
● Supports the planning and implementation of SHCS programs, events, training, and outreach
● Serves as a member of the Senior Management Team and serves as on site manager as needed.
● Attends Board of Directors meetings and Board committee meetings as assigned.
● Supports Board Fund Development Committee and Leadership Council.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
● Strong commitment to our vision of uniting community to ensure every child and adult is free
● 5-7 years of experience in fund development, strategic communications, or public affairs;
● Demonstrated experience in fund development in a nonprofit organization or equivalent
business development experience,
● 2-3 years of experience in institutional/partner engagement, and volunteer management;
● Experience in development and implementation of training, tracking, and reporting systems;
● Proven financial results in donor solicitation;
● Minimum five years of management experience;
● Superior verbal, written, and presentation skills;
● Highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, ability to multi-task, and provide quick
● Well-connected in Silicon Valley with the ability to draw on existing relationships;
● Four-year degree or equivalent experience; and
● Proficiency with CRM databases (such as Salesforce), Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
● Ability to lift up to 30lbs without assistance and up to 50lbs with assistance;
● The position requires you to stand and walk for prolonged periods of time;
● The position also requires computer use up to 6-8 hours per day;
● Must be insurable under the SHCS driving insurance requirements;
● Must successfully pass a DMV and background check.
● Bilingual in Spanish/English strongly desired.
● Direct experience working with low-income populations through service, community organizing,
or policy advocacy efforts.
● Basic graphic design software proficiency;
Position is exempt, full-time and reports to the Executive Director
The salary is commensurate with experience. Salary range is $120,000-$130,000 per year.
Excellent benefits include fully paid medical insurance for employees and majority paid medical
insurance for qualified dependents, dental insurance, vision insurance, 12 paid holidays, 10 paid sick days
per year, paid vacation starting at 10 days per year, additional wellness benefits, basic life and long term
disability insurance, professional development and more.
Sacred Heart Community Service is proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace and an Affirmative
Action Employer. SHCS is committed to building a team of people of diverse ethnic, cultural, and
experiential backgrounds. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented and
marginalized communities, people of color, women, people living with disabilities, veterans, and
LGBTQ+ people to apply. It is the policy of Sacred Heart Community Service to prohibit discrimination
and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants,
without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender
identity/expression, pregnancy, medical condition or genetic information, veteran status, national origin,
disability, marital or other protected status. SHCS will conform to the spirit, as well as the letter of all
applicable laws and regulations.