Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
This position is a hybrid role that is based out of our any of our East Coast EDF offices in Boston, New York, Washington, D.C., or Raleigh. We are also open to candidates based remotely in the United States.
The Senior Director, Climate Corps is responsible for the strategy, design and execution of the Climate Corps program, including the global fellowship and Climate Corps network. The Senior Director, in collaboration with other EDF leaders, will plan and fundraise for the expansion of Climate Corps within key geographies of strategic importance to EDF and will oversee the development of new content and programming that supports EDF’s strategic priorities including building implementation capacity and expertise to support EDF’s Net Zero by 2050 goal. The Senior Director will report to the SVP, EDF+Business and play a key role on the EDF+Business Leadership Team, helping to craft and deliver on overall program strategy and annual KPIs.
- Lead the development and execution of Climate Corps’ program strategy, ensuring alignment with EDF’s climate goals and strategic priorities;
- Grow Climate Corps’ programming and impact in EDF’s anchor geographies of the U.S., China, India, and Europe. Assess potential opportunities and operating models for Climate Corps expansion in additional geographies;
- Establish and strengthen internal partnerships with key staff across programs to drive greater impact on climate and other EDF strategic priorities, including energy, food, forests, fisheries, and chemicals;
- Create and cultivate strategic external relationships and partnerships to advance Climate Corps’ goals;
- Work collaboratively with staff from within and beyond the Climate Corps program, identify and develop new areas of impact for Climate Corps – especially in support of EDF’s Net Zero by 2050 goal – including through enhancements to the fellowship program and expansion of Climate Corps Network offerings;
- Play a central role in realizing Climate Corps’ DEIJ vision by advancing the program’s 3-year DEIJ goals, and determining future priorities;
- Provide exceptional people management to the Climate Corps team at large, comprising of approximately 20 team members, and manage a subset of direct reports across different functional areas and regions;
- Play a key role in fundraising, serving as Development’s primary content partner for the Climate Corps program, engaging directly with new and existing program supporters, participating in the writing and communication of funding proposals, reports and updates, and liaising with program leadership, EDF’s Executive Team and Board of Trustees as needed;
- Build and oversee the annual Climate Corps program budget in partnership with EDF+Business program leadership and key staff, and manage expenditures in line with the established budget;
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Play a leading role in communication with internal and external stakeholders to keep them apprised of progress, generating credibility for EDF work and enthusiasm for EDF+Business’ goals and accomplishments.
- Serve as part of the EDF+Business leadership team, shaping and supporting overall EDF+Business strategy, development and reporting, engagement with Executive Leadership and the EDF Board of Trustees, and helping oversee a team of approximately fifty professionals.
- Contribute as a thought partner on the strategy, impact and content of the Degrees podcast.
- Bachelor’s degree and 12 years of related experience, or a Master’s degree and at least five years of related experience.
- Demonstrated experience developing strategies, growing a team, creating work plans and executing strategies from conception to completion. Ability to manage through complexity. Strong strategic thinking and analytical skills.
- Experience leading a fellowship program with a global operations model.
- Strong people manager and operational leader with a proven track record of motivating a team to accomplish challenging deliverables within tight timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to forge collaborations and effective partnerships to advance work deliverables, achieve goals, and/or scale reach and impact.
- Deep knowledge of business-environment strategy and climate issues as they relate to business.
- Experience leading a fellowship program or learning and content delivery program for graduate students with a global operations model preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively with a variety of diverse stakeholders representing different geographies. Ability to work in complex, matrix organizations.
- Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Fundraising experience both with grant proposal development and direct engagement with donors.
- International knowledge and experience a plus.
- Willingness to travel and work off-hours to connect with staff and partners in different geographies.
- A collaborative leadership style, with demonstrated ability to empower and inspire staff and encourage professional development.
- Experience as part of a leadership team, with responsibilities in supporting strategy and teams beyond your own.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.