About the opportunity
We are seeking a Senior Archaeologist for the Southern California region. The Cultural Resources Senior Archaeologist is a core member of the Cultural Resources Program, responsible for staffing, fieldwork, research, report writing, quality assurance/ quality control review, managing client, agency, and tribal relationships, as well as winning and delivering on projects.
This is a regular, full-time, salaried position. The position is based out of our Pasadena, California office but is open to highly qualified candidates who prefer to work from a home office but are willing to come to the Pasadena office periodically to work directly with their staff and colleagues.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing, 1,400+ staff, employee-owned firm, providing a full-spectrum of environmental services. Our Vision (the North Star) is to make SWCA the best workplace and industry leader in sustainability, bringing sound science and creative solutions to global environmental challenges while maintaining a dedication to employee-ownership. We live our core values: we collaborate as #OneSWCA; we are #AlwaysLearning, we #NeverSettle, and we #GiveBack.
What you will accomplish
- Project implementation to include staffing, fieldwork, research, report writing, and Quality Assurance/ Quality Control (QA/QC) review.
- Maintain good working relationships with state and federal agency contacts and clients.
- Nurtures and develops client relationships.
- Organizes and create best practices and processes.
- Supervises personnel in the field, office, and laboratory.
- Collaborates closely with SWCA’s managers, directors, and principal investigators.
- Maintains SWCA’s high standard of scientific ethics and quality assurance
- Motivated to identify and resolve problems in creative ways.
- Collaborates as part of an interdisciplinary environmental team.
- Assists in the continuing development of SWCA’s Cultural Resource Program and expanding SWCA’s professional reputation in cultural resources consulting and research throughout California and beyond.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Master’s Degree in anthropology, archaeology, history, or a closely related field.
- Meets the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualifications Standards in archaeology.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in cultural resources management (CRM) on a variety of project types, sizes, regions, and agencies, with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Minimum of 3 (years) of experience in CRM in a supervisory capacity, whether in the field or in the office.
- Experience managing CRM projects, including budgets, scheduling, and scopes of work.
- Extensive experience with California or Great Basin archaeology.
- Demonstrated experience in federal, state, and local laws and regulations related to the management of cultural resources (CEQA, NEPA, Section 106 of the NHPA)
- Has provided QA/QC review of field documents, site forms, and reports.
- Team-orientated attitude with strong leadership and mentoring skills.
- Qualified for listing on the California statewide Bureau of Land Management permit.
- Has worked on an interdisciplinary team of subject matter experts and planners.
Preferred or Helpful:
- PI-permitted preferred, but Field Director level considered.
- Experience in renewable energy and/or transmission and is highly preferred.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changes in project needs, agency requests, and more.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with a variety of colleagues, clients, and agency representatives.
- Excellent technical writing skills with a record of completing technical reports and projects in a timely fashion.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 1-480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
Employees in this position are eligible for consideration for SWCA’s annual bonus program, which provides awards based on individual and organizational performance. To review additional benefits associated with this position, click here: https://www.swca.com/careers/totalrewards/benefits
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.