Who We Are:
The Alliance for Decision Education (“the Alliance'') is a non-profit education organization leading the growing call to have decision-making skills, or Decision Education, taught in schools K-12 across the country. We believe that equipping students with skills proven to drive better decisions will enable them to perform better in school and in life, improving health, finances, family outcomes, and their communities. Our work is backed by a growing number of teachers, parents, researchers, and business leaders who have seen Decision Education improve students’ lives and the lives of those around them. Our mission is to improve lives by empowering students with essential decision skills. For more information, please visit us at www.alliancefordecisioneducation.org.
The Alliance is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer that celebrates diversity, promotes equity, and encourages inclusivity. We are committed to building and fostering a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more diverse we are, the better our work will be, and the more impact we will have.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Research, the Research Assistant will support multiple projects and efforts to advance research and knowledge in the field of Decision Education. This individual will be responsible for assisting the Research Department and the organization to build credible evidence, foster a community of researchers, and analyze knowledge across sectors.
We expect this individual to adhere to the Alliance’s hybrid work schedule, working remotely and from our office in Bala Cynwyd, PA. In special circumstances, we will consider full-time remote work for candidates who are not local to our office. Fully remote candidates will be expected to travel into the office occasionally.
- Knowledge Base and Field Metrics
- Conduct literature searches and reviews of published literature (studies in behavioral and decision science, psychology, behavioral economics, etc.) and gather and manage existing evidence to develop a Decision Education (DE) repository
- Research and catalog research instruments used in the field
- Assist in the preparation of manuscripts, presentations, and other research documentation
- Help build, organize, and maintain databases of research studies and researcher profiles/relationships
- Support development and management of field metrics, including collaborations with other departments
- Research Department Efforts
- Assist in coordination and administration of the Decision Education Grants and Awards initiatives
- Support efforts to build and support a Decision Education researcher community
- General Support
- Coordinate research meetings (e.g. meeting agenda, note taking, action items)
- Support functions for the day-to-day operation of the Research Department and collaboration with other staff members and departments on general duties and specialized projects
- Perform administrative and other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree (required) or Master’s Degree in Psychology, Education, Decision Science, Behavioral Science, Social Science, or related field
- 2+ years of research-related experience
- Proven ability to process, organize, and analyze large quantities of information (particularly from scientific literature and journal articles) efficiently and creatively
- Proven ability to find, understand, interpret, synthesize, and report study findings from research articles/published studies clearly and effectively
- Experience with data management and organization, including cleaning and coding data and categorizing information systematically
- Proven ability to write and communicate effectively to help prepare, compose, and review research content
- Experience in Google Workspace and/or Microsoft business applications
- General Attributes
- Actively open-minded and intellectually curious; committed to becoming well-versed about the field of Decision Education and its impact
- Responsible, diligent, and conscientious, with outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong execution skills; performance and target driven
- High energy and integrity; gracious professionalism and strong interpersonal skills
- High-level collaborator with a passion for the mission of the organization
- Flexible and willing to adapt to changing conditions and focus
- Technologically proficient
We offer our employees a comprehensive Total Rewards package which includes: competitive compensation that is commensurate with experience, health and dental insurance that is 100% employer-paid for both the employee and their dependents, long-term disability (LTD) insurance, a 401(k) plan with a dollar-for-dollar match up to 5%, generous paid time off (PTO), equipment and supplies to work remotely, and other resources to help employees do their best work.