C-Quest Capital is hiring a
C-Quest Capital LLC (CQC) is a social impact project developer whose purpose is to transform the lives of families in poor communities around the world. We do this by providing access to sustainable energy services and clean energy technologies that reduce greenhouse gas emissions, combat global climate change, and improve the health of those in need. CQC was founded in 2008 and is headquartered in Washington D.C., USA, with subsidiaries in India, Malaysia, Singapore and Cambodia and on-ground teams in a host of countries around the world.
CQC develops high impact carbon finance projects under four operational platforms: Cleaner Cooking, Efficient Lighting, Sustainable Energy and Nature-based Solutions (NbS). Currently we have active carbon project operations in over 15 countries across Sub-Saharan Africa, Central America, and South and Southeast Asia that have improved the lives of over 20 million people.
Background: CQC is rapidly expanding its portfolio of nature-based carbon removals projects across a range of countries in Southern Africa and is starting to identify further opportunities in East and West Africa, India, South-East Asia. CQC’s NbS portfolio current includes a number of large-scale pilots on assisted natural regeneration, afforestation, agro-forestry and regenerative agriculture, with a focus on generating landscape-level resilience for small-holder farmers and rural communities.
The Role: CQC is hiring a Nature-based Solutions Programme Manager in Nairobi, to support the growth of our NbS programme within the East Africa region. This new role will drive the early-stage expansion of the NbS programme in the region and be responsible for day-to-day project management of the expanding portfolio. This includes project origination - identifying and proposing new NbS trials, pilots and projects, partner identification -, due diligence and onboarding, and determining key steps to identify relevant methodologies and steps for the development of nature-based removal carbon assets and coordinating with the operations team to ensure smooth delivery of project and integration with cookstove programmes. It will also provide support, coordination and guidance to partners in piloting these programmes in other countries in the region. He/she will report to CQC’s Head of Nature-based Solutions, and work closely with the local operations team and CQC’s Chief Scientist based in Lilongwe, Malawi.
Core Tasks: Under the guidance of CQC’s Head of Nature-based Solutions, the Programme Manager will ensure the day-to-day successful implementation of CQC’s East African NbS
• Local managerial oversight and support to development and growth of the NbS programme in East Africa, developing
• Day to day coordination and oversight of on the ground activities, integration and coordination with the cookstoves operations team – ensuring smooth and timely
coordination and planning of cookstove implementation within the NbS programme as the programme scales -, daily trouble shooting, raising up issues to Head of NbS.
• Identify resource needs to grow technical expertise and NbS field teams, identifying training needs for existing operations teams and local staff.
• Ensure timely execution of administrative activities for the NbS programme, e.g. external agreements, consultancy contracts, budgeting, finance, reporting.
• Local coordination of activities required for the development and screening of new NbS trials and pilots in the region, including initial due diligence on potential implementing partners
and potential methodologies.
• Provide timely coordination with NbS technical staff, the field team, and Head of NbS to support the assessment, and ongoing development, monitoring and reporting for carbon projects in the region.
• Tracking policy and market developments in the region, including engaging in local policy & market discussions and key working groups/events, and keeping finger on the pulse of new developments, trouble shooting.
Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
• Advanced degree in the field of conservation, ecology, agriculture, forestry or environmental science and management.
• Minimum 7 years' work experience in project or programme management in sustainable development, agriculture projects, conservation, environmental management, or land management.
• Prior experience in project development and origination for Agriculture, Forestry and Land-Use (AFOLU) is highly desirable.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
• Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills with a proven ability to create and maintain positive working relationships with peers, employees and external stakeholders.
• Strong supervisory and leadership skills; excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• A working knowledge of the carbon markets is desirable, but not essential.
• Fluency in a local language is desirable, but not essential.
Location & Travel: Nairobi, Kenya; The job may require travel to project sites in Kenya and other countries for short periods of time.
Compensation: Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Supervision: The position will report to the Head of Nature-based Solutions, but based in the operations team in Nairobi, Kenya.
Note: All applicants must be a citizen of Kenya or authorized to work in Kenya