This position is taking applications up to March 28, 2023. If we receive an abundance of applications prior to this date, we may close the application submission early.
We recommend applications be submitted via the Google Chrome browser if possible. If access to Chrome is not available, we encourage applicants to clear their browser cache and use the most updated, non-beta version of their browser.
Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 7 million people in 58 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about our Statement of Faith and Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
Reporting to WM’s Country Director in Kenya, the Regional Manager, Turkana, will be responsible for leading the Turkana Regional Office of Water Mission Kenya (WMK), including but not limited to the following: leading, teaching, managing, and ensuring adherence to the mission, vision, values, and standards of the organization; office and project management; design, construction, operation, maintenance of water supply and sanitation systems in communities, institutions, and disaster response situations.
The job is located in Kakuma, and the Regional Manager will be required to reside in the same area. The job entails frequent field visits, national and occasional international travel.
A successful Regional Manager will:
- Maintain a strong Christian witness and model servant leadership to colleagues, partners, the communities we serve, and the public.
- Study, embrace, advocate, and lead staff to understand and adhere to WMK’s mission, vision, values, and standards in all areas of office and project operations.
- Manage the office and projects according to approved scope, schedule, and budgets.
- Provide timely, accurate, and complete reports of office and project status as directed.
- Work in a team environment to provide servant leadership, direction, and assistance for engineers, technicians, community development staff, administrative personnel, and volunteers to ensure best-in-class quality of output and adherence to WM/K values and standards.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with various government offices to influence and share best practices and professionalism with the County Government of Turkana, Ministry of Water & Sanitation and Irrigation (MOWSI), Ministry of Health (MOH), and other offices within the vision and values of the organization.
- Prepare written proposals and cost estimates.
- Manage multiple simultaneous projects in different locations.
- Maintain good communications with WMK staff and partner organizations.
- Ensure that each portion of the work is executed according to an agreed-upon Scope of Work, design, schedule, and budget to a best-in-class level of excellence.
- Provide training to WMK staff and those of other organizations regarding maintenance, operation, organization procedures, and sustainability of implemented solutions.
- Approve program and project related expenses and purchase orders in accordance with WMK policies and procedures.
- Approve the allocation and use of all WMK Turkana Regional office vehicles and equipment and ensure that these are operated by approved personnel only.
- Conduct field inspections and site assessments to ensure that construction/implementation is in accordance with plans and expectations.
- Participate in disaster response activities as needed.
- Prepare and make presentations to the Operations Team, Strategic Partners, donors, and volunteers.
- Oversee technical and WASH project design. Ensure project management and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) tools are maintained in a timely manner.
- Abide by the policies and requirements of the WMK Code of Conduct and Staff Policy Manual
- Other tasks as may be assigned.
What is required?
Relationship and Alignment
- Alignment with WM’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
Education Qualification and Experience
WASH experience a preferred.
Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field (Engineering, Community Development, Monitoring & Evaluation, Development, etc.) is required.
Master’s degree in relevant field (Engineering, Community Development, Monitoring & Evaluation, etc.) is preferred.
7+ years of progressive project and people management
2+ years working in development NGOs at managerial level.
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus, solve problems, and work collaboratively and effectively with other leaders, volunteers, and employees at all levels.
- Demonstrate ability to grow leaders and establish a culture in alignment with WM’s Values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
- Ability to thrive in a highly fluid environment and respond to changing requests.
- Good written and verbal cross-cultural communication skills. This includes proposal writing, report writing, operational organization, and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English is required.
- Ability and willingness to travel in-country for up to four weeks per year. Most in-country trips require this person to travel by long car rides on rough terrain and stand for extended periods of time in hot weather.
- Legal authorization to work in Kenya.