Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a nonprofit Christian engineering organization that designs, builds, and implements safe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) solutions for people in developing countries and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about our Statement of Faith and Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
The Regional Engineer is responsible primarily for applying sound engineering principles and excellent written and verbal communication skills to a variety of WASH projects in East Africa. This full-time position is based in Nairobi, Kenya, and reports to the Director of Engineering and Design Support in Charleston, SC, USA, and is part of the Charleston-based Engineering and Innovation department. Spoken and written English fluency is required, and experience with Swahili is preferred.
Though this position is based in Kenya, travel to other Water Mission program countries is required (primarily Uganda, Malawi, Tanzania, and USA). Candidates need to be prepared to travel up to three months of the year (i.e., multiple trips during a single calendar year totaling three months), with trip lengths ranging from one week to four weeks. Candidates need to be aware that travel to a disaster response situation may be required with only 72 hours of notice.
A successful Regional Engineer will:
- Maintain a strong Christian witness and model servant leadership to colleagues, partners, the communities we serve, and the public.
- Work in a posture of humble service to God and others.
- Commitment to the values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
- Work in a team environment to provide technical direction and assistance to other engineers and technicians.
- Lead and assist others in adherence to approved engineering and construction standards.
- Assist in the development of guidance documentation for engineering and construction processes.
- Assist in the develop project engineering scopes and designs for WASH projects in country development and disaster response settings.
- Conduct field inspections and site assessments.
- Assist in the creation of feasibility studies and engineering reports.
- Assist in the creation of engineering designs, calculations, construction drawings, and specifications.
- Conduct construction and implementation inspections.
- Manage multiple simultaneous initiatives.
- Maintain good communication with multiple team members across multiple countries and time zones.
- Maintain good communications with outside entities.
- Ensure work is done within an agreed-upon scope, schedule, and budget.
- Ability to cross engineering disciplines and gain a base level of understanding as required by projects.
- Ability to work within cross-cultural environments and overcome stereotypes and language barriers.
- Participate in disaster response activities when needed.
- Prepare and make presentations to other departments, partner organizations, country program office staff, strategic partners, donors, and volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering – Civil or Environmental preferred.
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) status preferred (US applicants).
- Minimum of 5 years of engineering experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English language.
- Fluency or familiarity with written and spoken Swahili language preferred.
- Knowledgeable skills with Microsoft Office software (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Knowledgeable skills with engineering programs such as EPANET, AutoCAD, or similar are preferred.
- Excellent relationship skills.
- High attention to detail.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills.
- Experience in developing countries, preferably in East Africa.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a team.
- Home internet bandwidth strong enough to support video conferencing and other job-related responsibilities.
- Legal authorization to work in Kenya or the United States without sponsorship.