R&D Engineer - Durability of Circular Construction Materials
As a global leader in innovative and sustainable building solutions, Holcim is supported by 70,000 people. These teams, spread across 70 markets, are passionate about building progress for people and the planet through four business segments: Cement, Ready-Mix Concrete, Aggregates and Solutions & Products.
As we continue to look for more sustainable ways to build, we need world-class talent to join and enhance our teams. People who are passionate about sustainability, driven by curiosity and keen to grow, learn, develop and thrive in our high-performance culture. At the global innovation center located at Saint Quentin Fallavier, near Lyon, France, we are a passionate team of researchers, scientists and innovators that are delivering cutting edge, cross-disciplinary, solutions that advance the frontiers of knowledge and practice of building with sustainable construction materials.
Aligned with our objective of using 100 Million tonnes of recycled materials to boost Circular Economy, we are looking forward to enhancing our research and innovation competence in the areas of Circular Construction Materials.
The opportunity at a glance
Recycled concrete, secondary aggregates and waste recycling hold great future potential for construction materials’ industry. Recycling is big on the EU agenda for sustainable development. It is an essential component of the Circular Economy. The proposed “research position” is being defined for advancing our research in the following areas:
- estimating the recycling potential of concrete and other construction materials
- durability of concrete made with recycled materials, life-cycle modeling. Special emphasis on shrinkage (in general), freeze-thaw durability, air void systems and rebar corrosion. This will include laboratory characterization and modelling
- characterization techniques of recycled materials (aggregate, concrete, etc.)
- low CO2 concrete durability with focus areas similar to those listed in #02 above
If selected, you will be working at one of the best Global Innovation Centers on construction materials. The current assignment is designed with a typical timeframe of 1 to 3 years before the solution is transferred to the market. You will develop and share scientific knowledge on at least two of the above listed areas. A brief description of this position is as below:
Holcim Innovation Center, Saint Quentin Fallavier, France
Concrete & Aggregate
Commensurate to experience
(Fresh PhDs will be considered)
Minimum two required
Core job responsibilities
To fulfill above objectives, we are looking for a well-trained researcher, who can focus on
- Studying mechanisms and developing practical solutions for enhancing the durability, performance and hence the life of recycled materials concrete as per the emphasis areas listed above. The recycled materials could include recycled aggregate, aggregate from industrial wastes, recycled cements, recycled water, etc.
- Estimating recyclability potential and developing indicators for recycling of concrete and other construction materials
- Defining innovative characterization methods for recycled materials and standardizing these
- Reviewing existing models for concretes with virgin materials and mathematical modelling of concretes with recycled materials
- Estimating the service life of recycled construction materials
- Establishing academic network to address the above topics
- Collaborate internally and externally to advance the research on these topics
- You contribute to the defining the future of recycled materials for the industry
- You contribute to creating Circular sustainable solutions and hence circular economy
- You advance the R&D of circular construction materials
- You contribute to the reputation of the Holcim Innovation Center internally and externally
Education - A PhD in
- Civil or Ceramics or Materials or Eco-Construction materials engineering
- with emphasis on recycled construction materials or durability of recycled materials or service life modeling/ estimation
- Candidates with commensurate experience while not having PhD will also be considered
- Post-doctorate with high skills in designing laboratory experiments on concrete, recycled materials, cementitious materials. Knowledge about statistical methods of experiment design will be add-on
- In-depth knowledge of cementitious systems, concretes, etc. is essential
- Statistical design of experiments (preferred)
- Durability modeling, service life modeling and estimation, including life cycle analysis of recycled materials
- Durability characterization of materials especially in the areas of shrinkage, freeze-thaw, transport phenomenon and corrosion resistance
- Exposure to relevant analytical characterization techniques would be an add-on
Knowledge & Skills
Soft skills -
- This position being purely research oriented, hence, a curious mindset willing to experiment in laboratories and a drive for delivering the results in a timely manner is essential
- Critical thinking ability as required for materials’ research. This could be demonstrated with publications, presentations, etc.
- Creative foresight on research needs of the topics and ability to solve problems through experimentation
- Ability to run an in-depth analysis of experimental results
- Decent presentation and technical writing skills
- Decent communication skills and a good command over English is essential
- Ability to establish and maintain academic relationships
While you help us deliver world-class innovative solutions, we promise to help you grow in a dynamic working environment that offers attractive working conditions and encourages best-in-class personal and professional development.
Do you have the drive, the skills, and the passion to join us?
To apply, please send here your :
- Latest detailed CV
- Motivation letter and
- References would be requested after initial interviews
Decent communication skills and a good command over English is essential