About the Oversight Board
The Oversight Board makes binding and independent decisions about the most challenging content issues on Facebook and Instagram. Members of the Board include Helle Thorning-Schmidt, former Prime Minister of Denmark, Tawakkol Karman, Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Michael McConnell, Director of Stanford’s Constitutional Law Center, and may other diverse leaders and thinkers from around the world. The Board issued its first decisions in January 2021.
The Oversight Board Administration is the team of full-time staff who supports Board Members in carrying out their duties. The Administration has a presence in London, San Francisco and Washington, D.C., and operates with a global scope.
You can learn more about the Board at www.oversightboard.com.
Role and responsibilities
Joining the Oversight Board Administration is a chance to be part of an organization which is leading on some of the most challenging issues facing the tech industry and society.
This is a permanent position reporting into the Oversight Board Legal team. You will work closely with colleagues in the Oversight Board Administration, as well as outside stakeholders (including Meta) and vendors, to help drive execution of major new Oversight Board initiatives. You will play a crucial role in enabling the Oversight Board’s strategy to engage with companies, regulators and others to deepen its impact.
You will support cross-functional teams to (i) define their support requirements; (ii) provide quality project management support in line with these requirements, and (iii) successfully deliver and assist others in the delivery of organization-wide goals. You will identify project needs and engage internally and externally to make sure those needs are met.
You will need to be nimble and flexible, navigating time zones, cultures, and a wide variety of stakeholder perspectives with ease. The role will include coordinating complex, multi-disciplinary projects from start to finish — working with stakeholders to plan requirements, seek inputs and decisions, manage project schedules, identify risks, and communicate clearly with cross-functional partners across the organization. It is your role to coordinate the team to ensure project deadlines are met, and inefficiencies or delays are identified so that adjustments can be made accordingly.
- Effectively align a variety of stakeholders, including Communications, Legal, Ops, Leadership, and external stakeholders, to drive decision-making, ensure timely communications, meet deadlines, and make progress against key objectives.
- Support cross-functional teams and events through scheduling (including with external stakeholders), establishing clear productive agendas, maintain and appropriately share meeting takeaways and action items.
- Develop and maintain cross-functional roadmap and goals on owned initiatives with time-bound deliverables, along with other project documentation. Deliver overview and status reporting and identify and escalate obstacles for resolution to appropriate stakeholders.
- Collect, analyze and report inputs and data to execute on projects and to drive improvements and iterate on projects.
- Identify and advise on the most appropriate project delivery approach based on business needs, resource, deadlines, taking into account project risk, impact and cost.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams and external stakeholders to scope costs and operational requirements as part of project roadmap.
- Create, uphold, and communicate detailed project plans and status updates throughout all phases of projects.
- Track project performance, specifically to analyze the successful completion of short and long-term objectives.
- Effective onboarding and contract management of all external vendors involved in owned initiatives.
This role will be based at the Administration's US location of Washington, DC. Oversight Board offers flexible hybrid remote working, so we welcome applications for those based across East Coast to allow for collaboration of time zone.
Skills and Experience
The Oversight Board Administration values diversity of experience. Candidates should have a strong combination of several of the following skills, competencies and experience OR Successful candidates are liable to have the following skills and experiences:
Successful candidates are likely to have the following skills and experiences:
- Extensive project management experience working on complex projects with cross-functional teams and multiple external stakeholders, including on international outsourcing/share services projects.
- Ability to collaborate and influence across multiple levels of an organization with experience leading cross-functional projects and holding project leads accountable to the greater project goals.
- Experience working across cultures, time zones and disciplines, and within organizations with an international foot-print and reach.
- An ability to think creatively and apply strong analytical and problem solving skills, driving issues to resolution.
- Firm sense of accountability and ownership for end-to-end project lifecycle. Demonstrable knowledge of the tools and elements of project management.
- Excellent and well-practiced communication (spoken, written, listening), interpersonal and influencing skills with the ability to bridge specialism and business through user-friendly language.
- Experience working with multiple executives at once to drive delivery of a shared goal.
- Passion for content moderation, trust and safety, free expression, human rights, and/or technology policy.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to manage competing priorities.
- Strong organizational skills with particular emphasis on attention to detail.
- Experience of working within the tech industry (with online platforms) desirable.
- Experience of working on projects relating to outsourced content moderation/review desirable. Demonstrable interest in wider content moderation and platform regulation ecosystem is an advantage.
What we can offer you
As well as a competitive salary of $140,000, we also offer a market leading benefits package, covering a variety of areas, both professional and personal. These benefits include:
- A generous 12% employer contribution towards the 401(k) plan with no requirement for you to contribute;
- Progressive family friendly benefits including a robust paid parental leave policy;
- Comprehensive short-term and long-term disability, life assurance and business travel insurance packages providing financial support in events of ill health, injury etc;
- A generous childcare subsidy to provide financial support for eligible childcare costs;
- A generous home working and commuting allowance to provide financial support for remote and/or office working;
- An extensive healthcare package including medical, dental and vision plans offering coverage for you and your family;
- A training allowance to support both your continuous professional development and professional membership;
- 5 study leave days per calendar year to support professional development;
- 22 days of paid time off per calendar year in addition to statutory public holidays;
- 2 'recharge' paid vacation days per calendar year;
- 2 'personal' paid vacation days per calendar year
- Festive season time off (between Christmas and New Years)
- A holistic wellbeing support plan encompassing a variety of offerings to assist you. We provide you with an allowance to fund activities to best support your wellbeing as well as workshops and training to provide tools and guidance. Additionally, there is a wide-ranging employee assistance programme available to advise on personal, family or financial matters, and also fun social events all year round.
Oversight Board is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. You will receive equal treatment regardless of age, mental or physical disability, gender, gender expression or gender identity (including transgender status), gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions) or maternity, race, colour, creed, nationality, ancestry, citizenship status, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.
We welcome all applications for this role. You will only be contacted if you have been shortlisted for the role. Please see our privacy notice here.
If you would like to keep updated with the work of the Oversight Board and future opportunities, please follow us on our LinkedIn page.