About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is expanding our team and actively looking for dynamic individuals who are following their passion in delivering the highest-quality project work. Our Denver/Fort Collins, CO team is looking for a Project Manager - NEPA. Individuals need to be willing and able to work with peers across various offices and accomplish tasks associated with a variety of projects in any given week. The ability to work directly with clients is imperative. The interest in pursuing new business is also desirable.
This is a permanent full-time, regular status position, reporting to one of SWCA’s Project Managers out of either our Broomfield, CO or Fort Collins, CO office. Remote locations will be considered for the right candidate.
Our company purpose is to preserve natural and cultural resources for tomorrow while enabling projects that benefit people today. You are invited to be a part of our success story.
What you will accomplish
You will be responsible for performing environmental impact analyses, facilitating public and agency outreach, and providing quality assurance and leadership during the development of EAs and EISs. Specific responsibilities include:
- Write and manage the preparation of EAs and EISs addressing the development for a wide variety of projects, including applications for rights-of-way, approvals, and/or leases, and interconnections; as wells as revisions of federal resource management plans (RMPs) and land use plans, issuance of policy amendments, etc.
- Support business line growth objectives and lead the development of EAs and EISs, including NEPA documents, for business lines that may include generation, transmission, water resrouces, land use planning, and others.
- Assist teams by providing technical oversight and guidance for the preparation of key aspects of NEPA documents and the NEPA process, including Pre-NOI activities and project planning; development of the description of the proposed action and purpose and need; NEPA document structuring and content planning; public scoping; public comment review and response; and Records of Decisions and Findings of No Significant Impact.
- Demonstrate excellent leadership behavior and professionalism while providing leadership at the project, team, and office level.
- Provide expertise to SWCA project managers on complex NEPA projects.
- Provide enterprise-level support by contributing to business development pursuits and proposals.
- Mentor early and mid-career staff in the development of the skills in NEPA analysis and document preparation.
Experience and qualifications for success
We seek a team member who brings with him/her demonstrated experience in NEPA project management, environmental analysis, and agency consultation. We seek the following specific qualities:
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental planning, environmental science, or another science-related field.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of related experience involving NEPA process and documentation, managing complex, multi-disciplinary projects; leading meetings with clients and agencies; directing project teams including subcontractors; preparing or directing staff in the preparation of technical studies and NEPA documents; and setting and adhering to project budgets and delivery schedules to develop project execution plans to satisfy regulatory compliance.
- A working knowledge of federal and state environmental regulations including NEPA, the Federal Land Policy and Management Act (FLPMA), the Clean Water Act (CWA), the Endangered Species Act (ESA), and the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA).
- A working understanding of agency internal processes and procedures and positive existing relationships with federal land management and regulatory agencies, such as the BLM, USFS, NPS, BOR, DOE, WAPA, FERC, NRCS, and/or USFWS.
- Proven experience with a subset of natural and cultural resource issues, within the industries of: renewable energy, electric transmission, transportation projects, oil/gas projects, mining, public lands, and or land use planning in the western US.
PREFERRED or HELPFUL
- Prior experience in environmental consulting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence; attention to detail; and organization, schedule, and budget management skills.
- Ability to be recognized by clients and agencies as a NEPA project manager that can lead an EIS from pre-NEPA planning phases through Record of Decision.
- Experience with business development with federal agencies, renewable energy developers, transmission developers, or other non-federal applicants that seek permits or leases from federal agencies helpful.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act (EPEWA), we are disclosing a good faith estimate of the compensation range for roles that will be, or could be, performed in Colorado.
In Colorado, an employee in this position can expect a rate between $73,710/year and $95,550.00/year, depending on experience, geographic locations, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Employees in this position are eligible for consideration for SWCA’s annual bonus program, which provides awards based on individual and organizational performance. To review additional benefits associated with this position, click here: https://www.swca.com/careers/totalrewards/benefits
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.