About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants (SWCA) has an opening for a Document Formatting and Accessibility Specialist to join the Technical Editing Team and provide document formatting/word processing for offices throughout the company. This position contributes to the high quality of SWCA’s client deliverables and workflow efficiency by creating and maintaining report templates, formatting reports to conform with required style, creating client deliverable PDFs, troubleshooting document corruptions, and facilitating efficient cloud coauthoring, especially on SharePoint.
This full-time position has occasional evening, weekend, and overtime work when deadlines demand.
This position is remote. The hours are 8 to 5 PST. Applicants must be able to work until 5 pm PST daily.
The candidate could fill any of three project-level roles based on skill and years of relevant experience:
Assistant Project Formatter
Associate Project Formatter
What you will accomplish
- Create, maintain, and manage MS Word and other templates that can be edited on cloud platforms
- Format documents in MS Word (e.g., modify templated covers with photographs, manipulate headers and footers, work with section breaks and page breaks, format/redesign tables, insert graphics, apply styles from templates, and create linked tables of contents).
- Create, combine, and manipulate PDFs in Adobe Acrobat (e.g., insert and delete PDF pages and add bookmarks and hyperlinks for navigability).
- Support SWCA’s brand by supporting conformance with SWCA style, formatting procedures, and quality assurance/quality control processes.
- Provide Section 508 compliance using MS Word and Adobe Acrobat.
- Provide troubleshooting for users of MS Word, especially on SharePoint.
- Coordinate with other members of the Technical Editing Team, project managers, and authors to solve problems.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Minimum 2 to 3 years of full-time, professional experience in word processing, desktop publishing, or document formatting; MS Office certification preferred.
- Expertise in document accessibility compliance with Section 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act in MS Word and Adobe Acrobat for large, multivolume documents.
- Demonstrated expertise in MS Word and proficiency with MS Office 365, especially SharePoint. Experience with MS Publisher, Excel, PowerPoint, and/or Project a plus.
- Expertise in Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Ability to work across platforms and understand software interfaces, especially between MS Office applications and Adobe Acrobat
- Good interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to balance quality with efficiency and appropriate level of effort.
- Excellent listening skills and ability to explain technical details to project managers and other staff.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills; ability to understand the scope of work, prioritize multiple tasks, and work within tight timelines in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility to work virtually with teams across multiple time zones.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full-spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.