Scope: Resource of Open Minds (R.O.O.M)
Location: Tunis, Tunisia
Hours: 4 days a week (Mon-Thurs)
Dual Reporting Lines: line management to Program Manager, dotted line to Regional Director
Start date: ASAP
Application deadline: 24 April 2023
Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values. Together with citizens and their organizations, we aim to contribute towards just, inclusive and life sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources. We work in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: Civic Rights in a Digital Age; Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, and Climate Justice. Our approach is solution driven, and we build wider movements for change by amplifying and connecting voices.
The Project Coordinator is responsible for the implementation of the North Africa regional component of the ‘Resource of Open Minds’ (R.O.O.M) programme in Egypt and Tunisia. The R.O.O.M program aims to build a global movement of young makers who rethink and rebuild the space for free expression in the 21st century. To achieve these objectives, the program aims to:
- Support creative hubs which provide makers with tools, services and a community of peers;
- Support individual creatives in production of critical content for various online and offline platforms
- Capacity Building for Critical Content Creation by makers as it relates to new skills in financial accountability, content creation and knowledge sharing.
- Provide Support for Linking and Learning of creatives in East, Northern and Southern Africa
The program aims to strengthen interregional and global cooperation through joined linking and learning activities with the other Hivos regions and specifically with Southern Africa and the Middle East and North Africa.
The person is directly responsible for the delivery of project’s results in MENA region through the successful management of the Hivos project cycle. The person is also directly responsible for the regional planning, implementation, monitoring evaluation, reporting on the region’s components.
(For more details please visit https://hivos.org/program/resource-of-open-minds-r-o-o-m)
Programme Planning & Strategy
- Actively look for synergies with the other regions that are part of the programme and develop the regional strategy linking up with other regions of the R. O.O. M programme.
- Undertake annual planning and budgeting for the regional components of the R.O.O.M programme.
Programme Implementation and Monitoring
- Implement the R.O.O.M program components for North Africa region: Tunisia and Egypt in close cooperation with the line manager (Global Program Manager), and regional director and any other supervisor assigned to the thematic area.
- Develop and implement a plan for M&E for the regional component and ensure that partners are clear on how to contribute to the plan.
- Review and assess the program progress, including through regular partner meetings.
- Establish a regular reporting schedule (financial and narrative) with regional partners ensuring that all reports respond to relevant program indicators and are in line with the regional M&E Framework.
- Carry out regular field trips to partners and communities specified in the R.O.O.M to ensure ongoing oversight of the regional programme components.
- Contribute to quarterly and annual program review process ensuring that the review provides clear evidence of progress and challenges and that it meets internal and external reporting requirements.
- Coordinate the Roaming Academy component locally ensuring that it facilitates learning and documentation among partners.
- Develop and produce timely project narrative and financial reports in accordance with Hivos and donor requirements.
- Undertake fundraising and communications, marketing activities at regional level and where applicable within the global program.
Partnership and support
- Management of relationship with key stakeholders in the project environment; promotes and integrates the materialisation of their support into actions and shares successes and failures for further improvement.
- Ensure that all relationships with partners are in keeping with Hivos core values, policies and procedures.
- Promote accountability of partners to target communities as specified in the R.O.O.M program.
- Work together with the Regional Director for MENA and the Program Manager to identify additional funding sources for the R.O.O.M Program and contribute to the development of applications as agreed.;
- Ensure that partners are aware of the grant management and reporting requirements of back donors and where necessary provide training and support to partners in order to meet these demands.
Advocacy & Networking
- Coordinate policy and advocacy efforts on key issues relevant to the creative cultural, media and technology sectors in MENA in close relationships with partners and networks.
- Participate in relevant thematic working groups, networks and learning forums, nationally, regionally and possibly internationally in order to improve R.O.O.M program and advocacy learning, sharing and impact;
- Develop relationships with peers in other INGOs working on the same issues as R.O.O.M program and maintain an overview of their work, identifying possible opportunities for collaboration.
Team work and collaboration
Work collaboratively with colleagues at Regional Offices in East Africa, Southern Africa, Middle East and North Africa (MENA) and global levels, to contribute to the achievement of broader organizational goals.
Participate in and contribute to global thematic meetings relevant to the R.O.O.M Program.
Provide project materials for Hivos communications and fundraising.
Supports other programs when there is work overload and covers absences for other program staff within MENA as needed.
Deliver on other tasks as agreed with the Regional Director in MENA including but not limited to team meetings and other designated tasks.
- Relevant university degree in social sciences, arts or humanities.
- At least 5 years’ experience in development programming, project management and administration with a focus on culture, media and technology and human rights-based approaches.
- Strong knowledge of the cultural, media and technology sectors globally and MENA in particular.
- Experience working through partnerships and co-implementation, including managing and monitoring subgrantees.
- Excellent communication and social interaction skills, and are fluent in both written and spoken English and Arabic, with French a plus.
- Work experience with civil society/NGOs (with an international non-governmental organization is a strong advantage), including working with international and diverse teams.
- Good understanding of project cycle management and application of advocacy strategies.
- Experience managing project funding, SIDA-funded projects a strong advantage.
- Good understanding of financial management systems, budget development, monitoring and donor reporting.
- A results-oriented person with strong conceptual, analytical thinking;
- A team worker with strong commitment to working with others to achieve mutual objectives;
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience of working with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Strong commitment to the values of free expression, gender equality and social justice.
SKILLS & BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
Can work independently & remotely with teams
Positive, team player attitude
Professional, ownership, and accountability
Accuracy and has an appreciation of detail.
Great with time management and workload management.
She/He/They embodies what R.O.O.M stand for and acknowledges its mandate and willing to be accountable to its values and principles.
Experience working in multi country and multi-cultural contexts is an added advantage.
Has the ability and willingness to travel.
We particularly welcome applications from persons who belong to one of the rights holder groups that Hivos works for.
What We Offer
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. Employment commitment is offered until February 2024, with first contract until end of this year, and then extended. Depending on your experience and skills your salary will be in accordance with Hivos’ Tunisia-based salary scale and comparable to national salaries provided by other international NGOs in Tunisia.
Specific Employment Conditions for this vacancy
Until the conclusion of Hivos’ registration as a foreign NGO in Tunisia, this position will be contracted under Al Bawsala.
Want to Apply?
Does this sound like your profile? You are welcome to submit your application by 24 April 2023.Both a letter of motivation and resume/CV in PDF format need to be submitted in English
Hivos reserves the right to close the position before the application deadline if a suitable candidate is identified. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible.