Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Under the guidance of the Senior Accountant, the AWE Project Accountant will play a significant role in strengthening core global systems by ensuring the proper accounting and reporting of resources in project implementation by maintaining systems of accountability, processing accounting information, internal and external financial reporting, cash and bank account maintenance and other financial tasks as assigned in liaison with relevant Heifer departments.
The person contributes to the program impact by preparing project financial reports and monitoring budget burn rates for effective implementation of the project. The accountant will assist with financial and accounting aspects of the country program office and the processing of routine financial transactions in accordance with Heifer's policies and procedures. The accountant also ensures compliance with Heifer and UN Women requirements for the AWE II Program. This position interacts with similar positions in other teams to promote consistency throughout the country and area program.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Energetic, positive, team player, result orientated, quality orientated, collaborative leadership, pragmatic, and inspirational.
A. Program Effectiveness (20%)
- Accountable for preparing accurate information for the program team in a timely manner to achieve the highest standard of effectiveness
- Interpret variance reports and expenditure analysis for project staff and management.
- Assist project management by explaining variances in line with finance policies.
- Monthly Budget performance report prepared, and review meeting held by 15th of every month.
- Participate in 80% of the monthly Activity performance meeting and support program staff interpret budget variance with planned activities.
****B. Management & Compliance (75%)
- Accountable for ensuring that all financial aspects of the project adhere to local laws and regulations and to donor requirements.
- Ensure that all transactions are in line with government laws.
- Conduct trainings and staff development workshops with the team to maintain a high standard of reporting.
- Prepare, coordinate, and monitor the project budget.
- Effectively manage the program/project cash flow while adhering to Heifer headquarters policies.
- Approve all office and fleet-related requisitions and review procurement requests as per the authorization policy.
- Monitor the AWE petty cash impress in line with cash management controls and prepare project financial reports for submission to the donor.
- Ensure compliance with accounting principles and standards including Heifer partners, donors, local partners, and HQ cost principles.
- Maintain knowledge of required rules and regulations related to project implementation and activities that affect the budget.
- Review payment requests for accuracy, completeness and ensure the timely processing of funds, ensuring that proper supporting documents such as receipts are maintained.
- Establish and maintain sound financial management systems and provide administrative support to the project.
- Ensure that an effective scanning and filing system is in place in the office, and coordinate with program staff to ensure that the project’s resources are effectively and efficiently utilized.
- Enhanced review of all project documents to achieving 100% compliance.
- At least 3 Capacity building training conducted per year and weekly formal feedback on staff requests and accountabilities provided.
- Monthly budget reviews and performance reports shared, and meetings conducted by 15th of every month.
- Run weekly project fund balance to update on cash levels.
- All PRF reviewed for completeness, accuracy within 2 working days from date of receipt.
- Complete and accurate monthly project finance report with all scanned documents shared by 15th of every month.
- Month end Agresso reviews and timely feedback.
- All project financial documents filed on a weekly basis.
- Documents reviewed and filed as per the donor and HPI requirements achieving 100% compliance.
- Payment’s disbursement including EFT, MM effected as per stipulated timeline.
- Accountabilities reviewed and registered within 2days from date of receipt.
- Monthly feedback on areas of improvement to ensure a sound system.
- Weekly scanning and upload of scans in Agresso.
- Monthly review and sharing of scans as per Donor reporting guidelines by 15th of every month.
C. Partnership & Engagement (5%)
- Accountable for ensuring compliance with established processes and procedures at the highest level of accountability with project partners.
- Provide leadership to the project Finance Assistants.
- Timely processing of partner Requests and accountabilities.
- Coach, mentor and manage performance of the Finance Assistants.
**May perform any other job related duties as may be assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or a related field is required, part II qualification of any professional course ACCA, CPA is a must and six (6) years’ experience in a non-profit organization. Other job-related education and/or experience may be substituted for all or part of these requirements
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Practical experience in various aspects of accounting principles and practices with a good understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Good analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of the context in which non-profit organizations operate and a good understanding of and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger and the environment.
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail software, and knowledge of accounting software (e.g.: MS Office Suite, DOS, Accounting packages such as Sun Systems, Pastel, Agresso)
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong numeracy skills.
- Demonstrated written and oral fluency in English.
****Essential Job Functions & Physical Demands:
- Ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of professionalism when dealing with donors, project participants, staff, and partner organizations.
- Willingness to contribute to Heifer International’s principles of transparency and honesty.
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations.