Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with some form of specially-abled**.**
The Program Manager - Enterprise & Market Development connects producer-owned cooperatives with the public and private sector to develop the rural enterprise and financial ecosystem. Following the strategy of Public Private Producer Partnership (4P model), the Manager will explore and collaborate with various stakeholders to strengthen forward and backward linkages in the value chain. S/he will coordinate with the Access to Finance lead to support access to finance for project beneficiaries, facilitate market-based enterprise development, and maintain strategic partnerships. The Manager will also provide marketing and branding support services to enterprises managed by self-help group (SHG) members, co-ops, Community Agro-vet Entrepreneurs (CAVEs), and other value chain actors.
RESPONSIBILIIES AND DELIVERABLES: (including approximate percentage effort)
Enterprise Development (30%):
- Lead in formulating the enterprise development strategy for signature programs.
- Update and implement policies, procedures, systems and tools for enterprise development in alignment with Heifer’s signature program strategy.
- Facilitate and monitor enterprise development activities for SHG members, CAVEs, cooperatives and value chain actors.
- Map the value chain actors, flow of information and products, infrastructure, financial institutions to help strengthen the enterprises.
- Develop and deliver capacity building activities in the areas of agribusiness, value chain and market development.
- Monitor, support and backstop the various categories of enterprises for effective functioning.
- Build relationships with external agencies (public and private including the 4P model) for leveraging support and resources and facilitate engagement with similar enterprises for cross-learning.
- Prepare manuals, briefs, guidelines, technical papers and information, education, and communication (IEC) materials related to Access to Finance (A2F) and enterprise development.
Marketing & Branding (30%):
- Update and implement policies, procedures and systems for market development in alignment with Heifer’s signature program strategy (including operational guidelines for collection centers, transport vehicles, etc.).
- Conduct market and market segmentation studies for the different value chain enterprises.
- Conduct value chain assessments to identify gaps along the chain and develop recommendations on how to improve the selected value chains and maximize impact.
- Identify and analyze market developments, business development-related knowledge and trends within the livestock sector and initiate internal intelligence and knowledge sharing.
- Contribute to corporate and sector marketing plans, prepare donor strategies, and contribute to branding of commodities among stakeholders.
- Build and strengthen online sale platform, franchise system, and cooperative-owned profitable outlets.
- Connect cooperatives to the end market for sale of products.
- Design profitable businesses for transportation, community markets/collection and cold storage warehouses.
- Lead and promote product branding, license and franchise system, and profitable cooperative-owned outlets.
- Develop a digital interactive platform with Product-Price Market Information System for the use and benefit of all value chain actors and stakeholders.
- Facilitate multi-stakeholder consultation meetings, workshops, and business-to-business meetings for better market linkages.
- Facilitate functional relationships with value chain and market actors to overcome bottlenecks in the market system.
Access to Finance (40%):
- Develop access to finance strategy for the signature program and associated processes, systems and tools for implementation.
- Establish and maintain relationships with potential financing partners for investments in the enterprises.
- Explore, assess, and identify appropriate financing providers and opportunities and float those opportunities to potential clients (individual/cooperative/corporate MSMEs).
- Collaborate with BFIs to develop, improve, and scale up appropriate financial products and services for all types of MSMEs.
- Assist bank staff in identifying potential clients (MSMEs) among the target groups and build a pipeline of loan deals.
- Expand access to risk mitigation products, such as agriculture/livestock insurance.
- Develop awareness and training materials for BFIs to encourage agri-friendly products.
- Identify financial gaps among value chain actors.
- Engage financial intermediaries such as banks and MFIs allocating capital for Heifer Programs.
- Facilitate the guarantees or underwriting of loans and debt/equity investment opportunities.
- Build a pipeline of potential impact venture opportunities.
- Lead and facilitate the process of accessing potential impact investments.
- Support the MSMEs, cooperatives, producers and value chain actors to develop bankable business plans and connect with relevant financial and non-financial service providers.
- Lead financial literacy and education of cooperatives and women and youth entrepreneurs.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in Business Administration, Rural Development, Enterprise Development or other related field and a minimum of seven (7) years of experience with an international organization in a similar context, OR
- A Master’s Degree or equivalent from a recognized university in the fields of Agriculture Economics, Business Administration, Rural Development, Enterprise Development or other related field and minimum of five (5) years of field and technical experience with commercial sector, agribusiness development in a mix of economic growth/trade, value chain competitiveness, investment promotion, or agriculture development.
- Experience in working with FPOs and their businesses is highly recommended.
- Innovative, analytical, and solutions oriented.
- Knowledge of enterprise development and linkages to poverty alleviation.
- Significant experience in building public/private partnerships.
- Experience working with farmer group programs.
- Experience in the commercial sector with skills to develop and evaluate investment opportunities and promote such opportunities to financial institutions.
- Strong consumer marketing, financial analysis and management skills.
- Experience in supporting and monitoring field-based programs in the country.
- Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions to document and disseminate industry information, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and advocate within the industry.
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships
- Strong interpersonal/people management skills and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred) and internet.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Hindi, English and other local languages, both oral and written; fluency in Odia preferred.
- Excellent command of report writing, analysis and presentation skills using Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations.
- Ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to understand, appreciate and implement Heifer’s Values-Based Holistic Community Development model.
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively throughout India.
- May require constant sitting, working at a computer and focusing for extended periods and performing office environment activities while on the road and/or in remote conditions.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.