Ricardo is hiring a
Role: Principal Consultant Sustainability
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Role ID: 2022-1677
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Principal Consultant to join our Sustainability team.
The success we are having as a business means there are significant opportunities to expand our services and delivery, so we are seeking to recruit an experienced principal level consultant to develop new client relationships across our Sustainability disciplines including, but not limited to:
The role will be primarily to develop new business but with some support to project delivery activities, principally to provide on-project client relationship management, subject to the experience of the successful candidate.
Within a collaborative and supportive team of consultants, you will be responsible for winning and delivering projects across our Sustainability disciplines. Client liaison, project management and technical delivery will be required from initial client engagement through to provision of final reports.
To assist our team, the successful candidate will:
• Be capable of building and maintaining new client relationships and developing new business leads and opportunities.
• Converting new business opportunities into successful bids e.g., by supporting the bid teams by providing local knowledge and client context.
• Be the client interface for key projects, demonstrating experience of working face-to-face with clients and managing their expectations.
• Liaise with specialist sub-contractors and build relationships internally and externally.
• Be responsible for ensuring work delivered is in line with client expectations.
• Demonstrate to clients sufficient technical understanding across the eight Sustainability disciplines (circular economy, carbon & energy management, lifecycle assessment, ESG, sustainable packaging, sustainable procurement, net zero) to develop new business leads and opportunities.
• Ensure appropriate profile raising and marketing of Ricardo’s services and capabilities.
Ricardo operates a parallel ‘team leader’ system for pastoral staff management, meaning that you will not initially have any direct line management responsibilities. However, if such line management is of interest to you, we can help you to demonstrate and develop that capability.
Key competencies and experience
• Have practical career experience and be able to demonstrate relevant technical capability, business development experience, effective project/bid management and excellent communication skills.
• Have a higher education qualification (Bachelor’s Degree) in an environmental or engineering discipline, or otherwise to have a good track record working in an environmental role, so that you can demonstrate your knowledge.
• Ideally have experience of working in the consultancy sector, or organisational responsibility for the outputs from contracted consultants, to demonstrate that you have the necessary commercial awareness. We are also interested to talk to candidates currently performing environmental roles directly within industry especially where they have a strong commercial awareness.
• Demonstrate strong technical expertise across one or more of the eight Sustainability disciplines (circular economy, carbon & energy management, lifecycle assessment, ESG, sustainable packaging, sustainable procurement, net zero). Experience of identifying and developing business opportunities is essential.
• You will need to be able to travel to all countries across the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) and be able to spend periods of time (e.g., days or, in a few cases, weeks) away from home.
Skills and behaviours
• Analytical skills with ability to identify, develop and implement solutions.
• Excellent writing skills to communicate clearly and without errors – accuracy and attention to detail are vital.
• Strong client and stakeholder communication skills e.g., influencing, negotiation, presentation and relationship management skills.
• Project/bid management skills that demonstrate ability to manage and account for time spent, and to deliver work on time and budget.
• Team working and leadership and ability to coordinate and prioritise activities to ensure delivery of agreed targets.
• Ability to work autonomously and proactively.
• High level of computer literacy, including familiarity with the full Microsoft Office software suite and potentially industry analysis tools.
• A flexible approach – able to see where help is needed and support colleagues as necessary.
• Be comfortable juggling a variety of tasks in a sometimes fast-paced operational environment.
• High levels of drive and commitment; a self-starter, problem solver with the ability to turn ideas into reality.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and to ensure an inclusive culture, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.