Loeriesfontein & Khobab Wind Farm achieved its Commercial Operating Date on the 8th of December 2017, as part of the third round of the South African government’s Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme. Loeriesfontein & Khobab Wind Farm received support from the local municipality and surrounding communities during the construction phase and into operations. Several economic development projects, aimed at contributing to sustainable community growth through financial and non-financial community development involvement. During the operations, a monetary commitment has been made to specifically developing enterprises and improving the socio-economic welfare of the community for 20 years.
Situated in the Hantam Municipal Area, 60km north of Loeriesfontein in the Northern Cape, Loeriesfontein & Khobab Wind Farms spans 3,453 hectares of agricultural land and comprises of 122, 99m-high wind turbines. When operating at full capacity, each plant generates 140MW and around 535,354 MWh/year of clean renewable energy per year and is supplying electricity to power up to 320 000 South African homes.
Loeriesfontein Wind Farm eliminates approximately 550,000 tonnes of carbon emissions each year when compared to traditional fossil fuel power plants. In addition to zero carbon emissions and reduced use of fossil fuels, the country will benefit from minimal water consumption during the generation process and significant social and enterprise development programmes.
This role is an excellent opportunity for an individual to join a growing business in a relatively new and exciting industry.
Summary of Role:
The key function of the role is to assist the Plant Manager in ensuring that the Wind Turbine and Balance of Plant Maintenance Contractors are working effectively with all parties to ensure that contractual obligations are fulfilled on a day to day basis.
What you will do?
- Assist the Plant Manager in ensuring that the Wind Turbine and Balance of Plant Maintenance Contractors are working effectively with all parties to ensure that contractual obligations are fulfilled on a day to day basis.
- Assist in the administration of contract documents and ensure proper securing of files.
- Support the Plant Manager to ensuring that the cause of turbine failures is understood (including and trends or serial defects that may be developing). Liaising with the OEMs and other parties to ensure that response times are appropriate and works undertaken are carried out both safely and effectively.
- Ensuring that all appropriate records of operations and maintenance activities on site are complete and easily accessible as required.
- Provide assistance to Plant Manager to ensure that any potential asset optimization measures are accurately prepared and presented to the customer
- Liaison with & reporting to General Manager, as needed
- Support the Plant Manager to ensure site Health and Safety
- Assist the Plant Manager in managing the processes by which site data is handled and analysed and ensuring that all proactive monitoring is carried out effectively with appropriate alarms and failures being directed via the appropriate channels
- Daily Reporting & Monitoring
- Assist with Performance, Downtime and Availability Analysis
- Preparing monthly reports and submit for review by required deadlines
- Following up significant performance issues either internally or with appropriate 3rd parties
- Assist in reviewing all current service/maintenance records and any issues identified.
- Support Plant Manager in be the Economic Development functions
- Give assistance in procurement functions for the site
- Maintaining calendar of servicing plans, weekly movements, statutory inspections etc.
- Assist in managing the responses of the Operations Engineers to local concerns/PR/site visits
- Assist in organising site visits for strategically important visitors.
- Monitor calendar of servicing plans, weekly movements, statutory inspections etc.
- Ongoing development of systems and procedures to improve efficiency
- Arrange and co-ordinate meetings and associated arrangements
- Plan, prepare and collate relevant documents including agendas, meeting packs, presentations, correspondences, reports and minutes as required.
- Prepare presentations, reports, documents, letters, emails and take minutes of meetings in a professional manner ensuring proper grammar, spelling and general layout / appearance.
- Implement and maintain an effective hard copy and electronic filing systems.
- Provide general office support to Plant Manager
What we require:
The Plant Technician position has three levels, and this is based on the candidate's skill, Experience and Qualifications, the successful candidate will have appropriate technical skills, knowledge and experience. An excellent working knowledge of MS Office Suite is required.
The position requires an organised approach. The Plant Technician may have to liaise with other engineering disciplines as and when required.
- Minimum 3 - 5 years relevant applicable experience
- Engineering (or other applicable) Diploma or equivalent technical qualification
- Experience in similar supporting role preferable
- Excellent writing and reporting skills, as well as good interpersonal relationships.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Good command of English, in addition Xhosa and/or Afrikaans preferable.
- Valid Driver’s licence
- Willingness to further develop skills and experience, by further education and training
The position will be based on site at Loeriesfontein Wind Farm, with travel to Cape Town and other sites in South Africa as required. Periodically it may be required to work at other sites in operation for short periods of time.
Why you really should click that button 👇
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, to be part of a diverse workplace with regards to gender, age and cultural background in the most exciting industry in the world today. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary, bonus scheme and share options.
- Excellent training (an average 54 hours a year)
- Secondment and relocation opportunities
- Career progression (16% promotions across the Group in 2021)
- Self-paced online learning portal for micro courses across a range of functional and interpersonal skills
Shared financial success
- A competitive, industry benchmarked and cost-of-living linked salary, reviewed annually
- Annual bonus
- Salary contribution to your pension fund
- Generous annual leave, plus a community or charity work day each year
- Paid maternity, parental, adoptive and bereavement leave
True diversity & inclusion
- Equal opportunity targets
- You can be you, whatever your gender, colour or sexual orientation
Care for health & wellbeing
- Generous health insurance subsidy
- Income protection insurance
- Life cover
- Free Employee Assistance Program
These are just some of the reasons why we are officially certified as a Great Place to Work.
Apply for this job now and see how we can energise your career!