About the Organization:
New Moms strengthens families by partnering with young moms as they progress toward housing stability, economic mobility, and family well-being. New Moms is a nonprofit organization with an $8 million budget and a staff of over 60. At New Moms, young moms, 24 and under, take powerful first steps toward economic mobility and family well-being. Our 2-Generation approach puts families experiencing poverty in control of their goals and unleashes their potential. New Moms’ headquarters is located on the west side of Chicago in the Austin neighborhood. Our East Garfield Park location includes all Workforce Development programming as well as our social enterprise, Bright Endeavors, which provides paid transitional jobs for young moms. We also have an office in Oak Park serving the near western suburbs.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Moms prioritizes racial equity as a strategic and organizational imperative. Strong candidates will be committed to integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) values into their work goals and will be evaluated on their impact.
About the Job:
This part-time Parent Coach is part of the Housing Team who specializes in supporting positive parenting skills by increasing parents’ awareness and understanding of their child’s developmental strengths and promotes positive parent-child relationships. This role is part of a pilot to help strengthen our strategies and supports that build on our executive skills coaching approach for young moms and their children in our permanent and transitional housing programs. Through a home visiting model this coach will meet with young moms and their children to complete developmental assessments, provide education, provide appropriate referrals and activities that can support parents’ ability to bolster their children’s development and school readiness and increase parent-child relationships. This position will collaborate with the other housing staff to provide comprehensive, high quality, seamless services. The Parent Coach will champion all New Moms values including our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, in both strategic planning and performance. This position in an in-person role that works out of our Austin and Oak Park offices. Hourly Rate: $21.50 - $23.00/hour DOE
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Conducts Ages and Stages Developmental Screenings and the Executive Skills Assessment (EFgo) on established schedule with all children in our housing programs; prioritizing those not co-enrolled in Family Support
- Helps with setting and tracking progress on parenting goals
- Conducts home visits to complete developmental screenings, provides parent-child activities and observations intended to enhance the parent-child relationship and child school readiness
- Provides age-appropriate activity kits to families based on assessments and goals
- Administers feedback survey’s related to parent coaching services
- Provides small parent-child activity groups in both locations that support increasing parenting knowledge, strengthens parental confidence, and builds social connections and positive parent-child interactions
- Works in tandem with other housing staff to integrate services across the Agency; collaborating with staff and other collateral sources on specific case-related issues
- Maintains working relations with other social service or public agencies; providing linkage of participants to appropriate resources and advocates for early intervention or other parenting supports; Secures appropriate release and consent forms and facilities inter-agency referrals as needed
- Performs written and electronic recordkeeping functions on a timely basis according to agency policy
- Upholds the New Moms’ Executive Skills Coaching approach which is grounded in racial equity
- Regularly participates in agency and program staff meetings, as well as professional group seminars or conferences to enhance professional knowledge and job skills
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in counseling and guidance, rehabilitation counseling, social work, psychology, pastoral counseling, family therapy, children and families or related human service field required
- Experience in the area of early childhood or working with families with young children preferred
- Experience in home visiting and/or child development preferred
- Experience in the use of personal computers and Microsoft software applications required
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and in writing
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities, projects, and deadlines concurrently
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team approach model, taking individual responsibility and autonomy while serving as part of a team
- Valid driver’s license, with safe driving record and valid insurance
- Daily access to a reliable car required
- New Moms employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption through the Director of HR.
- This is an on-site position working from both our Austin and Oak Park locations. This position is not eligible for a remote/hybrid work schedule.