Every day, we work together for what matters – bold, swift, and equitable climate action.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a certified B Corporation our business is our mission. At 3Degrees, we connect people with renewable energy on a global scale, providing renewable energy and carbon offset solutions to Fortune 500 companies, utilities, universities, green building firms and other organizations that are all working towards making their services and operations more sustainable. As an Originator you will join a committed and progressive team dedicated to shaping our strategy and driving wholesale growth across Europe. Ultimately, you will be responsible for developing and managing new and existing customer relationships whilst proposing and structuring renewable energy certificate purchases and wholesale sales in European markets.
This opportunity is open to candidates ideally based within a commutable distance of our offices in Oslo Norway, where you can enjoy a flexible, hybrid-working pattern in a collaborative environment. Exceptional candidates based remotely elsewhere in Norway or in the Netherlands, UK, Italy or Spain may also be considered. This role reports to the Lead Portfolio Manager.
Please Note: 3Degrees does not provide sponsorship and /or relocation assistance for non-European nationals in any of our European roles, therefore pre-existing right to work status or full work visa for the nations listed above is a prerequisite in order to be considered for this position.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Support the team in defining and achieving origination goals while partnering closely with trading teammates to achieve overall portfolio objectives
- Be proactive in developing new and existing customer relationships, proposing and structuring renewable energy certificate transactions in voluntary markets
- Identify and execute on new portfolio opportunities and trading strategies including hedges, derivatives, fundamental and technical trading, arbitrage and others while ensuring adherence to our own risk policy
- Contribute to overall portfolio and risk identification, management and reporting
- Collaborate regularly with Trading, Contracts, Trade Operations (back-office), Regulatory and other teams to achieve portfolio objectives and consistently improve tools and processes
- Perform market analysis and monitor indicators that influence pricing for price discovery, development of forward price curves to develop portfolio and trading strategies
- Support our Commercial sales and consulting teams, originating supply in preparation for, or in response to, Commercial customer procurement
- Support the Lead Portfolio Manager on team planning and development, goal & resource management
You are someone with a deep network of industry contacts within utilities and competitive electricity providers as well as developers and other renewable project owners or managers. You are naturally focused and ambitious, a self-starter ready to make an immediate impact while cooperating with, and supporting, the existing European Trading and Origination team. Additionally, you must have exceptional ethics and be committed to our company values to ensure deal success and long-term profitability.
The following attributes and experience will be key indicators of your ability to succeed in this role:
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in environmental commodity trading
- Deep knowledge of the regulatory environment and a proven record of identifying and negotiating wholesale purchases and sales in voluntary markets
- Experience developing and maintaining strong customer relationships with voluntary sellers and buyers across European markets and over multiple years
- Strategic thinker/planner that will contribute to grow specific segments of our business
- Superb communication skills both verbal and written
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, pivot quickly and managing multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining composure under pressure
- Collaborative and positive team player with the ability to work independently
- Creative thinker with an entrepreneurial mindset; proactive, highly resourceful and comfortable working in a dynamic environment
- Sense of humor (highly encouraged, though not required)
HOW WE DEFINE SUCCESS****Within 30 days
- You will have developed a practical understanding of our in-house portfolio management tool and will be capable of navigating the system to find purchase and sales orders
- You will be able to operate our CRM system at a basic level, confidently adding and managing contact lists
- You will have gained the fundamentals of our basic origination and trading strategies and how we act in the market
- You will have started to work cross functionally across 3Degrees, engaging and establishing relationships with trade operations (back-office), contract management, market analysis and business partnerships, and understand how we execute trading strategies
Within 90 days
- You will be working with minimum supervision, actively managing commercial relationships while closing trades
- You will be actively engaging with, and growing, your own network and building your customer portfolio, using the CRM to track and record your progress
- You will have developed a more advanced understanding of the portfolio management tool allowing for the preparation of customer deliveries and procurement
Within 6 months
- You will have gained a robust understanding of the overall business layers to enable your own contribution and input into internal process improvements to help streamline the international business
- You will be independently implementing your own origination and procurement strategies
Within 12 months
- You are clearly demonstrating your ability to generate substantial value to the European portfolio
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Compensation: The starting base pay for this position is $94,000 to $169,000 in the US. The employment agreement will be converted and stated in the currency applicable to the candidate's location. The total compensation package for the successful candidate in this role may exceed the base pay as it includes other incentive pay. The base pay is dependent upon many factors such as location, transferable or job-related skills, work experience, relevant training, business needs, and market demands. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This is a Europe-based remote role and currency will be converted to the local currency based on USD equivalent. Conversion rates are reviewed biannually, at a minimum
- Benefits: this position is eligible for a benefits package Additional information regarding the benefits available for this position can be found at: https://jobs.jobvite.com/3degrees/jobs/jointheteam
- Supplemental Pay: this position is eligible for discretionary bonus programs including the company’s profit sharing program and an annual team Bonus Pool
- This compensation and benefits information is based on 3Degrees’ good faith estimate as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, INCLUSION, AND EQUITY
3Degrees is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where different perspectives contribute to better solutions. 3Degrees welcomes people regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or gender expression, age, sex, pregnancy, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by law.