Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
The Operations Manager, Justice & Equity is a strategic partner working with the Justice and Equity team to ensure smooth and efficient operations, foster effective communication, oversee budget, and ensure program focus. While directly contributing to the overall goals and products of the team, the Manager also improves systems, fosters communication, and plans and manages meetings and events. In collaboration with Mission Finance, they will provide resource management and reporting, ensure effective project management that enhances program productivity and otherwise manage team strategic decision-making through general administration and operations oversight. This position uses experience and knowledge to independently guide and manage processes critical to project success. The Manager will report to the Senior Director of Equity and Justice Strategy.
- Partner with Mission Finance on resource management including but not limited to:
- Preparing annual team budgets with input from regional leadership
- Analyzing budgets frequently, tracking expenses against budgets, and forecasting monthly
- Identifying and communicating important budget issues and proposing solutions
- Manage and participate in the development of grant reports and proposals including communicating with EDF staff in other departments and co-developing robust proposal budgets that are aligned with the proposed work.
- Facilitate transparent communication within the team and across the organization.
- Participate in internal monitoring mechanisms designed to track key program goals and milestones and ensure they are achieved.
- Manage, onboard, train and mentor other operations staff.
- Oversee development of consultant contract deliverables, recruiting consultants and tracking progress toward meeting those deliverables. Identify potential issues with consultants and propose solutions. Act as a liaison within the team and with consultants.
- Lead or oversee the organization of team events and meetings to ensure they meet their desired objectives, e.g. site research & selection, contract negotiation, travel arrangements, meeting content input, attendee needs, catering & activity coordination, post meeting review, productivity assessment, and participant communications.
- Prepare reports for senior EDF staff as appropriate, e.g. status reviews and other team summaries.
- Ensure team members are trained in standard operating procedures.
- Track and progress recruitment for open positions by working with hiring managers to draft job descriptions, connecting with HR to develop and execute an interview plan, and collating interviewees’ feedback and recommendations.
- Partner as needed to on-board new team members and serve as a liaison with other departments such as HR and IT.
- Ensure the highest level of administrative service including processing of expense reports, AMEX reimbursements and invoices, contracts for consultants, scheduling and executive support, pass through grants, etc.
- Identify and develop relationships with key stakeholders across EDF including Finance, Operations, HR, Development, and MarComm with the goal of fostering trust, gathering information, developing project ideas, and recruiting partners.
- Develop innovative solutions to operational challenges.
- Capture and communicate lessons learned in international finance and operations. Help to translate those into solutions and best practices.
- Support team building and team cohesion by identifying and planning opportunities to connect and interact, including team retreats, professional development sessions, and year-round social activities
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the experiences fell connected, included and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least six years administrative or operational experience, or advanced degree with at least four years of direct experience (the degree requirement may be waived altogether for a candidate who can successfully demonstrate commensurate professional experience along with excellence in their past roles);
- An understanding of justice, equity and broader environmental issues a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to independently recommend and determine approaches to completing projects and managing processes where precedents are not always available;
- Experience in project management, and exceptional personal organization and attention to detail;
- Independent judgment and ability to plan, prioritize, and organize a diverse workload;
- Experience balancing the needs of diverse stakeholders;
- Strong ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, both independently and as a member of multi-disciplinary teams in a dynamic, fast-paced and creative environment;
- Strong analytical skills and experience performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience;
- Ability to identify challenges and work proactively to address them;
- Experience building relationships and working with partners of varying disciplines;
- Ability and willingness to work as a strong team player;
- Ability and willingness to travel, including internationally;
- Technical knowledge of team management platforms such as Microsoft Teams, Concur, Salesforce, and NetSuite a plus.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.