Who we are
eHealth Africa designs and implements data-driven solutions and technologies to improve health systems for and with local communities. eHA’s technology works in low connectivity settings, and smartly uses data to drive decision-making by local governments and partner agencies to get optimum results.
We leverage our staff and department expertise across five programmatic areas:
- Health Delivery Systems
- Public Health Emergency Management Systems
- Disease Surveillance Systems
- Laboratory & Diagnostic Systems
- Nutrition & Food Security Systems
In each of these programmatic areas, we partner with governments, communities, nonprofits and other stakeholders to generate holistic solutions, because we believe that every community deserves access to the types of tools that can enable them to lead healthier lives.
Purpose of the position
The Software Developer will be responsible for developing and supporting the architecture, infrastructure and software applications for the eHA. This technical position involves using established agile methodologies to analyze, design, develop, implement, maintain, re-engineer and troubleshoot applications. S/he will work closely with the other Software team members to prepare communications, coordinate meetings, and training sessions.
Keywords: Java, Kotlin, Android, Git, Docker
What you’ll do
- Provide program and project support to the Health Informatics Manager and the Development management team.
- Design and develop software applications as required by the organization and its donors.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in existing software applications
- Analyze and study complex systems requirements. Prepare design documentation.
- Understand how data flows within various systems to provide input on requirements for databases to ensure data is organized properly for reporting and analytics.
- Prepare training manuals for users to ensure application ease of use.
- Works daily with a team of self-organized, cross-functional, talented developers to design, build and implement systems and software for a network of primary health clinics and research laboratories.
- Works with a collaborative software development team and end users to implement system functionality and new features based on user requirements, use cases, prioritized project needs and/or stakeholder direction.
- Collaborates with product owners, and other software developers to plan, design, develop, test, and maintain both web-& mobile-based applications
- Assists in the estimation and assessment of the feasibility of solutions.
- Participates in the evolution of company-level software best practices, standards, and policies
- Grows valuable skills in software interoperability, architecture, medical device integration, and component-based software design.
- Contribute toward the continuous improvement of project management methodology utilized within the Development team.
- Miscellaneous projects and duties as assigned to support the management team
Who you are
- Bachelor’s degree from college or university in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems Technology or related field. A postgraduate degree is desirable.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in Software Development or an equivalent of education and experience.
- Well familiar with the whole software development life cycle (e.g. requirements, analysis, design, implementation, testing, and documentation) and execution models (e.g. Waterfall, Scrum, Agile, etc.).
- Strong understanding of Java or Kotlin, and Android development..
- Understanding of accessibility and security compliance.
- Knowledge of user authentication and authorization between multiple systems and environments.
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application.
- Understanding of the differences between multiple delivery platforms, such as mobile vs desktop, and optimizing output to match the specific platform.
- Strong unit test and debugging skills as well as a proficient understanding of code versioning tools (Git).
- Experience in creation and review of software and architecture designs.
- Fluent in English.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can become louder at times due to group discussions or activities. eHA is a tobacco-free environment.
We believe strongly in our mission and values, and our teams are most successful when they do also.
IMPACT & QUALITY:
We push ourselves to maintain high standards ensuring that we produce the most meaningful results in everything we do, no matter how big or small.
We maintain a worldview driven by possibilities, not limitations. We take smart risks and foster an environment where creativity and innovation thrive.
We are honest and truthful in our work. We always do what is right, even when it is not easy. We put our values into practice and hold each other accountable.
Qualified females are strongly encouraged to apply.