Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
The Research Analyst will be a key team member in the Office of the Chief Scientist, supporting research and analysis on topics related to methane emissions from global oil and gas infrastructure. The Research Analyst will report to a Senior Scientist in the Office of the Chief Scientist and will work in close collaboration with the Energy Transition team.
- Collect and analyze data to support characterization of methane emissions from global oil and gas infrastructure;
- Perform literature reviews and find, analyze and synthesize scientific information on a topics largely related to methane emissions to inform the design and development of EDF projects related to climate and energy;
- Fact-check and help develop reports, fact sheets, blog posts, website content and other materials for general and specific audiences on a variety of topics;
- Work with a team of staff scientists to summarize and visualize research and project results for staff, partners, donors and peer-reviewed scientific journals;
- Apply excellent organizational, communication and planning skills in preparing correspondence and reports, responding to requests for information and helping to coordinate activities among staff members;
- Manage key pieces of ongoing projects with partners from multiple sectors and backgrounds;
- Represent EDF at external events with a high degree of professionalism;
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values;
- Assist in preparing notes from important internal and external meetings;
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- Master’s degree in an environmentally relevant science field with 1+ years of relevant experience or Bachelor's degree with 1-3 years of relevant work experience in an environmental science, policy analysis, environmental advocacy or related field;
- Strong quantitative skills and experience in performing rigorous analyses;
- Experience with GIS software and statistical tools;
- Experience with data visualization;
- Demonstrated skill in synthesizing primary research;
- Ability to summarize and translate scientific information appropriately for a variety of audiences, from senior scientists to the lay public;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Ability to work independently and support a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment to plan, prioritize and organize a diverse workload in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience;
- Willingness to travel.
- Knowledge about environmental issues associated with the oil and gas industry, especially air emissions
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.