About the Oversight Board
The Oversight Board makes binding and independent decisions about the most challenging content issues on Facebook and Instagram. Members of the Board include Helle Thorning-Schmidt, former Prime Minister of Denmark, Tawakkol Karman, Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Michael McConnell, Director of Stanford’s Constitutional Law Center, and may other diverse leaders and thinkers from around the world. The Board issued its first decisions in January 2021.
The Oversight Board Administration is the team of full-time staff who supports Board Members in carrying out their duties. The Administration has a presence in London, San Francisco and Washington, D.C., and operates with a global scope.
You can learn more about the Board at www.oversightboard.com.
Role and responsibilities
The Membership Officer plays a vital role in providing best-in-class support to the Board Members of the Oversight Board. This role sits within the Board Member Governance & Member Relations Team, whose function it is to support the Oversight Board Members and the Membership Committee to carry out their responsibilities including assisting with the identification, vetting and appointment of new Board members; renewal or termination of Board Member contracts; annual performance appraisal of the Board.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Supporting the membership processes to source, interview, vet and appoint new members
- Undertake analysis to support the Membership Committee’s decisions with respect to the membership requirements of the board
- Ensure that timely and efficient processes are put in place and managed to support the work of the Membership Committee including project plans and timelines, milestone markers, interview guides and templates, and key governance documentation.
- Supporting the Board Member onboarding process and ongoing training requirements.
- Preparing briefing and information materials to assist Board Members, in preparation for plenary, committee, panel and other Board meetings.
- Supporting the contract renewal process of Board Members and preparing the appropriate documentation to support the determination to renew or terminate a Board Member’s contract.
- Creating and managing process to support the annual performance review of the Board.
- Providing day-to-day support relating to complex event/meeting management, travel, accommodation, venue arrangements, translation requirements, financial reimbursements and other support as needed for Board Members.
- Organising, planning and running internal and external meetings and events, and engaging with external vendors as needed.
- Supporting wider initiatives in the team and Oversight Board.
The Membership Officer will leverage prior experience supporting senior executives on a day-to-day basis to deliver excellent quality support while building strong stakeholder relationships. They will provide wide-ranging support including complex diary management, making travel and accommodation arrangements, and arranging meeting rooms and documents on behalf of Board Members.
Having an effective team to support Oversight Board Members is critical to ensuring the success of the Oversight Board as an innovative new mechanism for ensuring transparency, accountability and respect for human rights relating to content decisions on Facebook and Instagram.
Skills and Experience
Successful candidates are likely to have the following skills and experience:
- Strong experience supporting senior executives in a fast-moving, multicultural and international environment.
- Experience in governance processes in the corporate or NGO sectors.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills, stakeholder management skills and exceptional attention to detail.
- A flexible mindset and ability to work in a fast-moving environment.
- Proven event management experience necessary to support functional and organization-wide events/conferences.
- Excellent range of IT skills with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Effective at negotiating with and influencing stakeholders and colleagues to achieve optimum results and outcomes.
As well as a competitive annual salary of circa £60,000, we also offer an excellent market leading benefits package, covering a variety of areas, both professional and personal. These benefits include:
- A generous 12% pension employer contribution with no requirement for you to contribute;
- Progressive family friendly benefits including a robust paid parental leave policy;
- An extensive health support package, including comprehensive healthcare and dental coverage for both you and your family members;
- Comprehensive life assurance, income protection and business travel insurance packages providing financial support in events of ill health, injury etc;
- A generous childcare subsidy to provide financial support for eligible childcare costs;
- A generous home working and commuting allowance to provide financial support for remote and/or office working;
- A training allowance to support both your continuous professional development and professional membership;
- 5 study leave days per calendar year to support professional development;
- 25 days of annual leave (in addition to bank holidays), with the opportunity to carry up to 5 unused days to the next year;
- 2 'recharge' paid vacation days per calendar year;
- 2 'personal' paid vacation days per calendar year
- Festive season time off (between Christmas and New Years)
- A holistic wellbeing support plan encompassing a variety of offerings to assist you. We provide you with an allowance to fund activities to best support your wellbeing as well as workshops and training to provide tools and guidance. Additionally, there is a wide-ranging employee assistance programme available to advise on personal, family or financial matters, and also fun social events all year round.
Oversight Board is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. You will receive equal treatment regardless of age, mental or physical disability, gender, gender expression or gender identity (including transgender status), gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions) or maternity, race, colour, creed, nationality, ancestry, citizenship status, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.
We welcome all applications for this role. You will only be contacted if you have been shortlisted for this position. Please see our privacy notice here.
If you would like to keep updated with the work of the Oversight Board and future opportunities, please follow us on our LinkedIn page.