Li-Cycle is solving the global end-of-life lithium battery problem to help power our electric future. Our goal is to recover critical materials from lithium-ion batteries and introduce them back into the supply chain as a sustainable and circular product. We work every day to make this vision a reality. Our team is growing, and we are looking for passionate, creative people, who want to join us as we build a better tomorrow. If you are looking for a purpose-driven company where curiosity and innovation are valued, Li-Cycle is the place for you!
The Mechanical Field Service Engineer will report to the Spoke Maintenance Manager and will take responsibility for supporting operations and maintenance of the mechanical equipment within the North American Spoke fleet. The Mechanical Field Service Engineer will play a key part of Li-Cycle’s corporate maintenance team. This position will be responsible for driving efficiency and reliability in the design, operation, maintenance, and repair of the mechanical equipment across the North American Spoke fleet. A broad knowledge across all aspects of mechanical equipment and piping design for industrial facilities is required.
This is a remote position, with preference for the candidate to be located in or near Rochester, NY or Birmingham, AL.
We are seeking a talented, motivated, and top performer to join our team.
- Serve as the mechanical Subject Matter Expert (SME) for Spoke facilities, providing operational oversight and troubleshooting assistance to increase Spoke reliability. Reporting to the maintenance team, support Spoke management and operations personnel in this effort.
- Utilizing SCADA and data historian systems, monitor equipment performance, and actively optimize equipment operation to improve mean time between repair and failure. Utilizing the same tools, provide troubleshooting efforts for the Spoke fleet.
- Collaborating with the Li-Cycle management, business, and engineering teams, industry SME’s and Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s), develop and implement continuous improvement standards related to equipment operation and design to increase Spoke reliability. Lead the distribution and implementation of these standards for the Spoke fleet.
- Support the writing, review, and training of all preventative and predictive maintenance programs, policies, and procedures
- Review and approve maintenance and service policies and procedures for industrial mechanical equipment, including but not limited to, pumps, agitators, shredders, conveyors, fans, gearboxes, and mechanical seals.
- Coordinate continuous improvement efforts related to equipment design among Li-Cycle’s engineering team, OEM, and 3rd party vendors.
- Actively manage and provide technical supervision and oversight for outage related activities, off-site repair activities at Li-Cycle facilities, and off-site repair activities at vendor facilities.
- Conduct factory acceptance testing for mechanical equipment on an as-needed basis.
- Provide onsite training for the Spoke operations and maintenance teams.
- Lead the purchasing of mechanical equipment and materials for maintenance projects, including request for proposals, reviewing bids, equipment supplier engineering deliverables and shop fabrication drawings
- Coordinate and work with project stakeholders across multiple organizations to reduce risk and enable maximum value delivery for Li-Cycle.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering is required.
- Minimum 7 years' experience as a mechanical engineer in an industrial manufacturing or operating environment is required. 10 years’ experience is highly preferred.
- Extensive experience in a maintenance and/or reliability role at an industrial facility is required.
- Hands-on knowledge of the design, inspection and repair of shredders, conveyors, pumps, and/or gearboxes is preferred.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) is a plus
- Experience in full project life-cycle execution (i.e. planning through commercialization)
- Knowledge of industry best practices
- Knowledge and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Travel up to 50% of the time across the North American Spoke fleet, OEM facilities, and repair vendors
- High-level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation
- Proactive self-starter with an 'owner's mindset'; requires minimal direct supervision
- Must work well in a team environment, open to feedback, and able to work with and provide solutions for customers/stakeholders
- Consistently delivers quality work on time, with a strong attention to detail
- Strong level of decision-making skills and accountability
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible
- Strong analytical, negotiation and creative problem-solving skills
- High degree of time management
- Exceptional oral communication, writing and editing skills with an ability to communicate clearly, concisely, confidently, and professionally within all levels of the company
- Maintains strict confidentiality and discretion with respect sensitive information
For more information, you can visit our website https://li-cycle.com or view Li-Cycle's corporate video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnUgCt0JshU.
Li-Cycle is an equal opportunity employer committed to Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging. Individuals seeking employment at Li-Cycle are considered without regard to any protected category including but not limited to, race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, diverse-ability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.