The Managing Director, Technology supports the directors, managers and staff on EFF’s Engineering and Design (E&D), Public Interest Technology (PIT), and Technical Operations (TechOps) teams to help ensure the effective and efficient flow of day-to-day operations among those teams and across the organization. The Managing Director, Technology will also work in partnership with the Managing Director, Advocacy and the Chief Operating Officer to ensure that all EFF teams are innovative, impactful, collaborative and on-mission.
Additionally, The Managing Director will plan, create, and launch a technology fellowship program drawing on the unique skills and experiences of EFF staff with the goal of creating more Public Interest Technologists around the world.
Team Support & Supervision
- Serve as a thought partner with the directors of E&D, PIT and TechOps regarding their teams and technology issues.
- Ensure that EFF’s mission and the work of these teams are conveyed favorably and accurately to outside audiences.
- Work with both internal and external stakeholders and provide feedback to the senior leadership teams.
- Assist the directors in setting ambitious goals and plans for their teams consistent with EFF’s mission and strategies, including:
- Ensuring sufficient resources are available to meet those goals and plans both inside the team and across EFF, and
- Assisting directors in identifying and resolving any issues or roadblocks that arise in executing plans and reaching goals.
- Ensure that the E&D, PIT and TechOps teams work smoothly and effectively with EFF staff from other teams, including:
- Serving as the person who EFF staff and those outside EFF can go to get assistance in working with the E&D, PIT and TechOps teams, and
- Ensuring that EFF is aware of what these teams are doing through various communication channels.
- Assist in resolving complex organization-wide issues while maintaining organizational cohesion.
- Offer candid feedback to direct reports about where they need to grow as well as where they are excelling, including through weekly one-on-ones and annual feedback reviews.
- Support directors with team personnel issues, including conflict between or within teams and bringing in HR support as appropriate.
- Document performance issues and address them promptly, and escalate to HR if necessary.
- Serve as a member of the EFF Executive Team
- Participate in Executive Team decision making as provided in the Executive Team Charter.
- Lead or advise Executive Team committees or sub-committees as requested by the ED or decided by the E-Team.
- Help the E-Team consider, create and make substantive determinations about the EFF annual budget.
- Oversee departmental annual budgeting information gathering for E&D, PIT and TechOps team
- Represent the PIT, E&D and TechOps team needs in E-team and other discussions among senior management.
- Assist with and consult on the development of EFF organizational policies, as requested. Facilitate process and make recommendations.
- Assist in the internal communications strategies for organizational changes at EFF**.**
Technology Fellowship Program Development
- Plan, create and launch a technology fellowship program for EFF
- Other duties and projects as determined in collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer.
Qualities We’re Seeking (i.e. Competencies)
Successful candidates bring these qualities:
- Must demonstrate care and respect toward coworkers, outside partners, members of the public, donors, and others with whom this role interacts
- Must work to positively and collaboratively resolve conflicts and overcome challenges
- Ability to mediate and balance the competing needs of various parts of the organization and help drive them to a shared resolution for the organization as a whole.
- Ability to hear feedback and collaborate well with people across the organization, including other members of the leadership team;
- Excellent communication skills, including offering constructive feedback as needed and listening for core issues and concerns.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences including race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Must be available and responsive to colleagues, outside partners and others over email, phone, and online chat, with the ability to respond and reliably to time-sensitive requests for assistance and opportunities during agreed upon working hours.
- Ability to uphold confidentiality especially in areas related to finance, development and personnel.
Required Education and Experience
- Significant management experience
- Understanding both of EFF’s internal needs and systems and deep knowledge of EFF’s programmatic work related to civil liberties and technology
Classification: Exempt, Full-Time (40 hours/week)
Compensation: $175,000 to $185,000 DOE
Expected hours of work: Typically Monday –Friday
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Supervisory responsibilities: Supervises the E&D Director, PIT Director and TechOps Director
Location: This position is located in San Francisco with flexible work from home options.
Commitment to Diversity
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.