Who we are
eHealth Africa designs and implements data-driven solutions and technologies to improve health systems for and with local communities. eHA’s technology works in low connectivity settings, and smartly uses data to drive decision-making by local governments and partner agencies to get optimum results.
We leverage our staff and department expertise across five programmatic areas:
- Health Delivery Systems
- Public Health Emergency Management Systems
- Disease Surveillance Systems
- Laboratory & Diagnostic Systems
- Nutrition & Food Security Systems
In each of these programmatic areas, we partner with governments, communities, nonprofits and other stakeholders to generate holistic solutions, because we believe that every community deserves access to the types of tools that can enable them to lead healthier lives.
Purpose of the Position
The Manager, Public Health Epidemiology will be responsible for leading the technical delivery of eHA’s public health emergency management initiatives. This includes research, data analysis for strategic decision, assessment and contribution to new business development opportunities. S/he will also facilitate the formulation of research studies, contribute to grant proposals, prepare manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals and support Institutional Review Board (IRB) applications.
What you’ll do
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned:
- Provides eHealth Africa Senior Management and Program Management Team with strategic guidance on infectious disease epidemiology and outbreak responses.
- Support current public health emergency management projects and design roadmap for public health emergency management projects investments with support from the Program Manager
- Lead assessments of public health emergency management capacity to identify gaps and actions required for strengthening in collaboration with colleagues and partners.
- Provide both strategic and technical direction for all public health emergency management initiatives, overseeing its development and assuming responsibility for high quality delivery.
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders in the public health emergency management space, including with the WHO AFRO, Ministries of Health, NPHCDA, SPHCDAs and public health partners in Africa.
- Contribute to initiatives towards outbreak response digitalization and modeling.
- Formulates procedures, and plans for the conduct of existing and new sub-programs in epidemiological control and assessment.
- Identiﬁes and assists in the preparation of grant proposals, RFAs, clinical study protocols, IRB applications and capacity statements.
- Data collection and management that includes creating SOPs for data collection, creating databases, overseeing data collection in the ﬁeld and conducting data monitoring. Analyzing data, using standard epidemiological methods.
- Assists with identiﬁcation and selection of partners for PHEM projects and provides quality assurance oversight.
- Active participation in relevant national and regional technical working groups and other stakeholder meetings
- May frequently travel between organization work-sites. Some international travel may be required.
- Adheres to eHealth Africa Code of Conduct, applicable policies & procedures, as well as ethical standards of the ﬁeld.
Who we are looking for:
- A Master’s degree in Public Health, Epidemiology or in a related ﬁeld. Relevant professional certiﬁcation would be an added advantage
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience, at least 2 years in a managerial role; NGO experience is an added advantage
- Experience in community health and outbreak response is advantageous.
- Exposure to healthcare and/or health systems strengthening and/or experience working on public health projects
- Excellent analytical (qualitative and quantitative) skills and communication (written and verbal) skills, including the ability to prepare and present compelling presentations and program planning and memo documents
- Strong organizational, analytical, reasoning, and research skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills with creative thinking capabilities
- Ability to work independently on complex projects and proactively manage projects with minimal supervision
- High level of confidentiality and knowledge of research ethics
- Strong leadership skills, including good problem-solving skills and the ability to inspire conﬁdence in teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communications with a strong aptitude for succinctly presenting thoughts and ideas to senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Action oriented and resilient in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge and experience in supporting public health emergency systems and networks
- Project management experience will be considered an advantage
- Knowledge of Bio statistics as applied to epidemiology
- Field Epidemiology Training Program (FETP) will be considered a great advantage
- Experience working in resource-limited settings
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can become louder at times due to group discussions or activities. eHA is a tobacco-free environment.
eHA Gender Diversity Statement
At eHealth Africa, diversity is integral to who we are. We value and honor diverse backgrounds and experiences, strive to create inclusive and equitable working environments that promote Learning, Fairness and Opportunities for all.
We believe strongly in our mission and values, and our teams are most successful when they do also.
IMPACT & QUALITY:
We push ourselves to maintain high standards ensuring that we produce the most meaningful results in everything we do, no matter how big or small.
We maintain a worldview driven by possibilities, not limitations. We take smart risks and foster an environment where creativity and innovation thrive.
We are honest and truthful in our work. We always do what is right, even when it is not easy. We put our values into practice and hold each other accountable.
Qualified females are strongly encouraged to apply.