Location: Ottawa, Ontario-Virtual working
Reports to: Director, Finance and Administration
Position Type: Permanent, Full-time
Salary range: CA$75,000 – CA$ 85,000
Language requirements: English is required; Bilingualism (English & French/Spanish) is an asset
Job posting: Internal & External
WHO WE ARE
Cuso International is an international cooperation and development organization that works to create economic and social opportunities for marginalized groups. Together with our partners, we are focused on efforts to advance gender equality and social inclusion, improve economic resilience, and deliver progress on climate action. We believe that by sharing skills, we can build better futures. Founded in 1961, Cuso International works in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Canada.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Manager, Finance-Program and Compliance, is responsible for the financial management of the portfolio of Cuso International’s international projects, including donor liaison and contract compliance requirements, in coordination with program staff across all Cuso International offices. Provides direction in ensuring quality program delivery by improving the integration, management, and planning of country office operations. The incumbent of the position provides leadership, advice, training and guidance to program staff on financial matters related to program/projects and the development and delivery of an internal audit program for the field offices. Working with senior staff of the program team, develops and provides guidance for the development of funding proposals for programs/projects as well as financial policies and procedures for field offices. The responsibility for budget development and budgetary controls forms part of this portfolio. As a critical member of the Finance team, this role supports the efficient and effective delivery of Cuso International’s programs/projects around the world.
JOB KEY OBJECTIVES
The Manager, Finance-Program and Compliance will work towards the following organizational objectives:
- Provide decision-making advice, analysis and quality information to support financial objectives of field offices, specifically ensuring financial procedures and processes are aligned with Cuso as well as donor guidelines, etc.
- Implementation and ongoing development of financial policies, programs, systems and tools ensuring aligned with Cuso and donors
- Support the delivery of required program/project outputs and strong program outcomes working with senior members of the program/project team by providing timely financial related information.
- Improvement to internal controls and risk management through the internal audit program
- Assist with the capacity building of field staff on financial matters by providing advice, training and guidance.
- Ensure that sufficient financial support and capacity exists for the effective discharge of programs/projects.
- Maintenance of sound relationship with GAC and other funders
- By working in close collaboration with the Program Quality and Impact Manager ensures the effective delivery of our programs/projects
Program/Project Financial Management
- Provide guidance and support to country offices and the Senior Management Team (SMT) on financial matters
- Guide and assists with the development of all funder budget proposals, and be one of the finance officers responsible for the approval of these proposals.
- Approval of bank transfers to the field
- Monitor and analyse financial performance for a portfolio of Cuso International programs/projects, including reviewing/approving financial reports submitted to donor
- Work in close coordination with the senior project staff in Cuso International Country Program Offices and in Headquarters to anticipate project finance risks and bottlenecks and to overcome these in a timely manner
- Monthly review of exchange rate calculation and ensure the correct rate is used for each of the funded programs/projects
- Provide field offices with relevant, credible, timely and insightful information, analysis and related reporting information to support decision making
- Provide accurate and complete internal financial reporting and program/project performance effectiveness
- Support the financial accounting team as required to ensure that accuracy of information being entered and recorded
- Ensure that sound internal controls are in place for the petty cash and banking administration at the field offices
- Lead and participate in the development and maintenance of financial budgets and projections
- Maintain the program/project finance section of the Finance intranet site, ensuring that all project and budget related documents are available in a centralized location and accessible by appropriate staff
- Prepare and maintain all mandatory donor financial reporting in accordance with contribution agreements and donor documents
- Calculation and booking of overheads earned on a monthly basis.
- Equipment tracking in the field
- Oversee timely maintenance of monthly reconciliations and schedules by all the field offices
- Sign off on reconciliations and schedules and set a timeline for any outstanding items
- Monitor compliance of offices with insurance coverage and lease arrangements
- Implement and monitor compliance with organizational and project financial policies, procedures and controls
- Develop and deploy training, coaching and mentoring to assist and educate stakeholders about organizational, project, and Cuso International’s financial policies, procedures and controls, including project implementing partners
- Assist with planning and implementing regular internal audits to ensure compliance with contractual agreements, and Cuso International’s Internal Controls
- Review monthly financial documentation and provide recommendations on improving/strengthening adherence to financial policy and procedures of all programs/projects
- Review/approve financial contributions to implementing partners participation in bilateral projects included in partnership agreements
The Manager, Finance-Program and Compliance is expected to work effectively as part of the Cuso International Finance team, and in particular to:
- Meet with SMT and other senior program staff on a regular basis to report on and discuss financial results
- Participate in Finance departmental and Program/Project Delivery team meetings
- Contribute to process improvement program/projects as required
- Perform other duties and tasks in non-routine circumstances to support the successful delivery of projects
- To undertake specific additional responsibilities from time-to-time, as may be agreed with the Director- Finance and Administrative Services.
- Direct supervision of a 3 member PFO team
- Head of Programs
- Country Program Offices
- Finance Officers
- University Degree (bachelor’s) or equivalent specialized certification
- Field of education: Commerce or appropriate business degree
- 5-10 years of experience in a Finance role working with grants or contribution agreements from donors and contributors, such as GAC, WFP, EU and UNHCR
- Experience developing and monitoring project budgets and supporting the review and revision of project budgets
- Proposal development and program/project costing experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite & other databases
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Advanced Microsoft Office Excel skills
- Flexible and solution-orientated with the ability to work in a learning culture focused on knowledge building
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-departmental teams and liaise with various stakeholders
- Proven analytical skills
- Occasional international travel to project locations may be required
- Experience as a member of a full-cycle finance team
- International work experience
- Knowledge of program/project management best practices
- Experience with providing training, mentoring and coaching
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in French and/or Spanish
HOW TO APPLY!
Please click the "Apply for This Job" button to submit your application by 11:59 PM EST September 14, 2022 for internal candidates and September 23, 2022 for external candidates . Expressions of interest should be sent in English. Your résumé and one-page cover letter should demonstrate how you meet all the essential and any desirable qualifications.
Please note that a confirmation email will be generated once you submit your application, but it may be directed to your spam or junk folders of your email inbox.
Cuso International is an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified applicants. We strive to actively celebrate diversity, advance our equitable practices, and drive greater inclusion. We offer a comprehensive employee benefits package and insurance, generous days of paid time off, including vacation, and sick days, and more.
Cuso International is committed to the integrity of our volunteers, interns, staff, managers, board members and subcontractors in preventing sexual violence in the way we operate. This is done through a defined framework, code of conduct, values and guiding principles, as well as Cooperation Canada’s Leaders’ Pledge.
Accommodations will be provided at any stage of the hiring process upon request.