M4BL Security Director
Location: Remote, with occasional travel
Reports to: M4BL Movement Infrastructure and Operations Executive
Salary: $120,000 - $150,000, with full health benefits for employees and dependents, employer-funded retirement plan, remote work stipend, and 28 days of vacation
MOVEMENT FOR BLACK LIVES
The Movement for Black Lives (M4BL) was formed in December of 2014 and was created as a space for Black organizations across the country to debate and discuss the current political conditions, develop shared assessments of what political interventions were necessary in order to achieve key policy, cultural and political wins, convene organizational leadership in order to debate and co-create a shared movement-wide strategy.
M4BL is an ecosystem of more than 150 Black-led organizations representing thousands of Black people from across the country that have come together with renewed energy, strategy, and purpose to articulate a common vision and agenda. Our ecosystem is united by core values and politics that seek to build an anti-capitalist, abolitionist, and Black queer feminist future.
M4BL seeks to build a safety and security infrastructure that prioritizes physical, digital, cyber security, and legal defense/protection. We're seeking a Director of Security to establish and manage a comprehensive and proactive safety and security program that employs a risk-based approach for the protection of M4BL leaders, data, and systems. The ideal candidate will be a security expert and strategist that can provide advice and counsel to senior leadership and staff. The position is remote but will require travel and work on occasional weekends and evenings as determined.
The Security Director will be responsible for helping build and manage the overall safety and security infrastructure for the M4BL ecosystem. The Security Director will work with key leaders and staff across the M4BL ecosystem to protect data, ensure that all M4BL accounts, devices and tools are secure, monitor potential threats, lead on crisis management, and identify and mitigate threats.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF WORK:
Security Strategy and Risk Intelligence
- Establishes and maintains the overarching security strategy for M4BL including compliance monitoring and enforcement.
- Oversees information and data gathering to identify, understand and address risks or threats.
- Establishes and maintains information networks and relationships with key networks of experts to inform both changing strategy requirements and immediate operational risks.
- Provides proactive leadership and analysis on emerging security issues and threats garnered from these relationships and from current events and trends.
- Provides subject matter expertise on information, physical, and travel security and executive protection issues to senior leadership for the benefit of tables and departments.
- Coordinates and communicates relevant information with senior leadership, staff, related entities, and partners.
Executive Protection and Travel Risk
- Establish Travel Risk Programs and policies.
- Oversees the provision of executive protection coverage for senior leadership as required, including during public engagements and while traveling.
- Oversees security coverage for major events.
- Leads M4BL’s crisis management capability, including crisis planning and crisis response.
- Works to establish a culture of security awareness and prevention of security incidents.
- Conducts training, drills, and ongoing assessments of policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and continuous refinement of physical security policies, standards, guidelines, and procedures to ensure ongoing maintenance of security protocol.
- Partners with the Real Estate and Facilities function and other functional leads to ensure compliance with the above on an ongoing basis through regular assessments and audits.
- Able to establish prevention, detection, and mitigation techniques
Information Security/Cyber Security
- Works closely with technology and operations to support the overall security of the organization's computer systems and data.
- Partners with General Counsel, Human Resources, IT Security, Communications, and other functions as needed to conduct investigations.
- Establishes and manages budgets and financial resources effectively and efficiently.
- Oversees key outsourced vendors to ensure delivery of high-quality and cost-effective services and products.
- Produces regular reports on program operations, incidents, and compliance for senior leadership and staff.
- Responsible for managing security personnel, including hiring, directing, evaluating, training, and mentoring safety security team members
- Oversees the development of infrastructure that allows us to advise and assist frontline organizations and communities when security and safety incidents occur
- Works with ecosystem member organizations on the frontlines to strengthen their capacity to deal with safety and security concerns
Note: The Movement for Black Lives is committed to responding flexibly to changing circumstances and priorities which means that the expectations of every position are
dynamic. This description reflects the assignment of essential functions but does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Relevant safety and security experience.
- Experience providing powerful leadership and managing a team with humility, clarity, and integrity; conducts all aspects of their work with accountability, trust, and respect
- Demonstrated success advocating for new and creative ideas, methods and approaches; integrating best practices
- Strong strategic thinking and strong analytical skills
- Exhibits good judgment, discretion, integrity, flexibility, and collaboration.
- Ability to manage operational security teams in a complex, national ecosystem.
- Demonstrated awareness and exposure in the security arena dealing with safety, security, and risk-related issues.
- Experience in digital or information security education curriculum development and implementation, particularly in teaching new skills or tools and maintaining knowledge after a training, course, and/or workshop.
- Ability to assess the effectiveness of a training program, including implementing practical drills or exercises to test knowledge and/or other evaluation methods to determine whether an information security practice has changed.
- Ability to translate technical information into easily understandable information for non-technical audiences.
- Ability to develop and manage detailed project strategies and plans by coordinating with technical teams and multiple stakeholders to deliver projects.
- Familiarity with Information Security technologies and concepts including but not limited to strong authentication, network security, endpoint security, vulnerability management, information assurance, security operations, mobile security, privacy, and regulatory compliance.
- Familiarity with creating and/or designing engaging and easily digestible presentations, newsletters, fact sheets, and similar materials.
- Ability to adapt, re-prioritize project work, and help drive the team’s focus as priorities shift or requirements change.
- The right balance of being collaborative, open, and approachable while still being firm in facilitating progress and compromise.
- Experience with information security training vendors
- Must be well-organized, motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to complete a favorable background check.
DESIRED CORE COMPETENCIES
- Passion for M4BL’s mission in support of Black liberation and joyful Black life;
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and relationship-building skills across diverse populations and partnerships;
- An entrepreneurial work ethic with a ‘no problem too big, no question too small’ attitude;
- The ability to thrive in a collaborative, dynamic, fast-paced work environment where priorities are often evolving to adapt to the movement’s needs and emergent opportunities;
- A team leader and a team player who can drive impact at the operational and tactical levels; and
- Unimpeachable ethical standards, confidentiality, and personal integrity, demonstrating self-awareness and dependability at all times.
Please submit a resume and 1-2 page cover letter to the BambooHR link. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the job will remain open until filled. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY WORKPLACE
The Movement for Black Lives in partnership with its fiscal sponsor the Common Counsel Foundation is proud to be an equal employment workplace. We welcome and encourage job applicants who are motivated to work with us in addressing social injustice and those who have personal experience with injustice. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on any of the following factors; race,
color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, sex/gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and/or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition (genetic characteristics, cancer or a record or history of cancer), military or veteran status, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental and physical including HIV/AIDS, cancer, and genetic characteristics), and genetic information.