This position is taking applications up to January 30, 2023.
We recommend applications be submitted via the Google Chrome browser if possible. If access to Chrome is not available, we encourage applicants to clear their browser cache and use the most updated, non-beta version of their browser
Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a nonprofit Christian engineering organization that designs, builds, and implements safe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) solutions for people in developing countries and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about our Statement of Faith and Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
Under the direction of the Country Director, the Lead Engineer directly supports Water Mission’s vision of providing safe water and an opportunity to share God’s love with all. This position entails providing technical guidance and support to Water Mission Uganda Engineers and technicians following the Water Mission Uganda Country Program’s established standards and procedures. This is a full-time position that requires residency in Jinja, Uganda. The position might require frequent travel to remote locations within Uganda and occasionally outside of Uganda to carry out assessments and to support some of the technical aspects of the organization.
A successful Lead Engineer will:
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, donors, volunteers, and the general public.
- Understand, support, and nurture the Vision, Mission, and Core values of Water Mission.
- Conduct engineering fieldwork and design according to established engineering principles and standards to a high degree of excellence and dependable accuracy.
- Lead the technical team to provide oversight, review and assistance for technicians, volunteers, and other engineers to ensure quality of output and adherence to established standards and procedures.
- Promote, encourage, and model Water Mission’s mission, vision, and values to the technical team members and all other staff members.
- Work in collaboration with Water Mission staff members and departments to ensure the successful completion of every area of project implementation and sustainability. Train and facilitate a culture of capacity building for team members.
- Perform Engineering tasks, including water system hydraulic design, solar and electrical design, and development of plans, specifications, and structural drawings.
- Provide onsite visits for the purpose of quality control and instruction of field engineers and technicians in support of approved projects.
- Champion and ensure that Quality Assurance/Quality Control- (WMT QA/QC) standards and procedures are upheld by the technical team.
- Lead technical and systems innovation that seeks to further Water Mission’s mission.
- Layout and design water systems, including water source, pumping, treatment, storage and distribution.
- Ensure that all work, including that of the Lead Engineer, is reviewed by another engineer as designated by the Country Director.
- Perform assessments in communities, including water quality and quantity testing, survey measurements, and other aspects as may be required.
- Write and submit timely project reports, including monthly assessment reports with supporting photographs as per specific assignment guidelines.
- Provide disaster response support and work in other countries as needed.
- Prepare and conduct presentations to the Operations Team, Strategic Partners, donors, and volunteers.
- Other tasks as assigned.
What is required?
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering – Civil, Chemical, or Mechanical are preferred (Master’s degree and/or Project Management certifications are desirable but can be offset with quality experience).
- Registration as a Professional Engineer.
- Minimum experience of at least 8 years in similar project work, including leading and managing Technical Teams.
- WASH engineering experience.
- Relocation to Jinga, Uganda, for at least 2 years.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Advanced skills with office computer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and drafting and modeling programs (AutoCAD, EPANET, PowerCADD, SolidWorks, ProE).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Excellent analytical skills, process design skills, and project planning and management skills.
- Impeccable integrity and stewardship that demonstrates to those who invest in Water Mission Uganda a sense of security and trust that their gifts are well used and invested.
- Must be standards and detail-oriented with an ability to plan.
- A strong work ethic.
- A heartfelt dedication to providing and modeling servant leadership.
- Ability and willingness to travel for fieldwork.
- Legal authorization to work in the United States.