Are you someone with developing leadership and technical capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders? Are you a motivated learner and a problem solver? If you enjoy learning and innovation, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile environment.
Dillon’s Environmental Sciences technical group is looking for a Junior Environmental Technologist, Environmental Scientist, or Engineer-in-Training (EIT) to join our multidisciplinary team of professionals. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects while providing clients with a fully integrated and superior customer experience.
This full-time position is available at our Halifax office.
What your day will look like
- Coordinate and complete contaminated sites projects, including Phase I, II & III Environmental Site Assessments, hydrogeological investigations, soil/groundwater/surface water/sediment/soil vapour sampling programs, and contaminated site remediation projects
- Complete documentation of field activities, site safety meetings, among others in paper and digital formats (as required)
- Assist in supporting environmental assessment reports, including: data tables, borehole logs, test pit logs, GIS/CAD, etc.
- Coordinate and complete designated hazardous substance surveys including asbestos and lead sampling and assist in air emissions testing programs
- Operate, calibrate, and maintain project specific equipment
- Ability to work remotely (i.e., Labrador or Nunavut) for up to two weeks
- Ability to work overtime when required
- Ability to work alone with guided direction or partial supervision.
- Coordinate with laboratories, clients, subcontractors, third-party stakeholders
- Compile and analyse data
- Assist in report writing and preparation of technical memos, letters, reports, spreadsheets and figures
- Assist project managers, engineers, environmental scientists and others on a variety of multidisciplinary design teams (including project engineers, planners, biologists, technologists, etc.)
Learning and Development
- Commit to self-development and ongoing learning and professional development
- Contribute to Dillon’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees
What you will need to succeed
- A degree or diploma in environmental engineering technology or similar
- 1 to 2 years of experience in environmental consulting will be an asset
- Strong desire to learn
- Strong work ethic with genuine interest in environmental programs and field work
- Knowledge of applicable environmental regulations
- Valid Driver’s License
- Comfortable with use and operation of a 4X4 truck in an off-road environment
- Understanding of statistical analyses and terms, comfortable completing common statistical procedures properly and can differentiate between similar summary statistics like mean vs. median vs. mode. Able to create visual representations or tables to present statistical results from data analyses
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication, and organizational skills
- Exceptional problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated abilities to work in multidisciplinary team and independently
- Exceptional working knowledge of Microsoft Office i.e. Excel and Word
- Knowledge in several of: geology, hydrogeology, field procedures, basic chemistry, chemistry, geotechnical concerns, geology, remediation engineering, site characterization, waste management, landfill design, health and safety will be considered an asset
- Experience in phased site assessment and remediation and/or hazardous building substances survey will be an asset
- Experience with groundwater sampling, surface water sampling, slug tests, data loggers will be an asset
- Experience with soil and sediment sampling will be an asset
- Experience in laboratory bottle orders and chain of custody completion will be an asset
- Knowledge of relevant provincial, and federal environmental legislation and policies will be considered an asset
- Can apply criteria to analytical data will be considered an asset
- Proficiency in AUTOCAD, GIS, Surfer, GINT or database abilities will be an asset
Why choose Dillon
Dillon is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
We live our core values:
- Reliability: words result in actions that build trust;
- Achievement: do the work to hit the target;
- Continuous development: always learning; always adapting; always growing;
- Creativity: discover new possibilities;
- Courage: do the things that matter, especially when it’s hard;
- Inclusiveness: enabling belonging to draw strength from our differences.
In addition, we offer:
Employee share purchase plan
- Dillon is 100% employee owned and share ownership is open to all employees
A competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous retirement savings plan
- Student loan repayment assistance with matching employer contributions
Flexible work hours and remote working options
- Dillon values its staff and the contributions that are made each day and understands that work arrangements can differ based on personal needs and business needs. We are taking a trust-based approach to oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible and remote work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
Early Career Development (ECD) program
- We are committed to developing the skills and knowledge of our people at every stage of their career. The ECD program is designed to accelerate the development of successful consulting careers of new graduates. The program focuses on a mix of skills and behaviours that align with technical, consulting, clients, business acumen, and early leadership.
Focus on Innovation
- The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance
- In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities
Employee and Family Assistance program
- A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees
Goodlife Fitness Corporate Membership
- Our employees can take advantage of reduced annual membership fees
Dillon is a proudly Canadian, employee-owned, professional consulting firm specializing in planning, engineering, environmental science and management. We partner with clients to provide committed, collaborative, and inventive solutions to complex, multi-faceted projects. With over 20 offices and more than 1000 employees across Canada, Dillon offers a wide range of services related to building and improving facilities and infrastructure, protecting the environment, and developing communities.
Now operating for over 75 years, we continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. Dillon has been listed as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 16 years and has the distinction of having achieved Platinum Club member status in this program.
Employment Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Dillon:
Dillon is committed to the principles of employment equity, inclusiveness, and diversity within our organization. We strive to achieve a workplace where opportunities are based on skills and abilities and that respects and values differences.
Inclusion is more than a word to us, it is the way we choose to run our business.
Please connect with us if you require accommodation in the interview process. We would love to hear from you!